Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

7.13.16

What a productive day!  I did some wild harvesting this morning, Started around 6am and got home around 9:00. I wish I had taken Anya, I found more than I expected. But I went out alone and enjoyed it immensely. I went looking specifically to find and mark wild coffee and crab apples. Didn’t find either one. But also just to check on how fall goods are coming along.

Did farm chores and harvested from the homestead, then in for a rest, cold tea and a big bowl of my homemade granola with dried raspberries and goats milk. Poppy is getting much better on the stand so we’re starting to get more usable milk from her.

From the homestead today we got 9 eggs, a pint of milk, Vervain, wormwood, yarrow, mugwort, peppermint, spearmint, Thuja, grape leaves tansy, lemonbalm, polk berries and leaves, plantain, lambs quarters, blue catnip (spicy flavored, I use for teas only), gooseberries, Echinacea and a bouquet of queen ann, just for her beauty.

From wild harvest, late cinquefoil, willow, wild onion, cat brier and grape tendrils, plantain, the first drying dock seeds, sorrel, bergamot, purslane, self heal, chickweed,

I spent a few hours on preparing the herbs I harvested for drying etc. Most will go toward winter stores. I always start thinking about winter in July. There could be hard cold and snow in 5 months.

The rest of the day I sent on tincturing. I also had two orders to fill and worked on online listings etc on my breaks.


All in all a most excellent day  :)




No comments: