Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

9.5.07

(((((((((((the Lorax))))))))))))


Yesterday I almost finished the second hen pen. Just a few more pieces on the roof and then pone across the front to lay on the ground. It's actually part of the main hen pen but I wanted to enlarge it and be able to close a gate and separate them when we barrow a rooster because we don't eat fertilized eggs.

Every time I walked by that big ole pile of firewood and smiled and said thank you. I had ordered about 1/4 of a cord, delivered (we unload and stack) for 100.. Usually we get more then enough for free all summer but with the trooper more dead then alive ... Anyway, this is just such a wonderful thing.

On a bummer note, a few nights ago someone threw out a beautiful young Russian. Probably because he had started to spray and it was easier to throw him away then neuter him. He should be quite easy to find a home for tho, he's smart and sweet on top of being so pretty.

It's been wonderfully rainy all day, gray and wet and secretive. I call it fine Irish weather and I love it. It gave way to me making Zennia this morning :)

No comments: