Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Thunder & Lightening

Life is so odd and at the same time, amazing.

The other day lighting hit a tree in the forest, maybe 100 feet from our house. It lit up the whole living room with a fire red glow and boomed so loud I thought the windows would shatter. I was worried about a fire but there was none. Later, we went to see the poor tree, see what had been done. On the side facing our house it's been stripped of bark from top to bottom and it's probably around 30 feet tall. The tree, other than being naked on that side, looks just fine.

When the storms roll in they echo up and down the hills and hollows. It's most wonderful and reminds me how tiny we are in comparison. The lightening strike reminded me how blessed we are too :)

Juli
signing off

No comments: