Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Saturday, August 9, 2008

8.9.08 Green Burrow

Oatmeal cookies and cappuccino for breakfast.

We're almost done with all the outside house painting :) There's still a fair amount of touch-ups and the back needs a full second coat but that's it ! I also have to figure out how to get to the kitchen window better to finish it. Then we're going to try and move the A/C to the kitchen window and finish the window that the AC is in now.

I love earthberms but they do have some odd bits and so few windows is good and bad. As soon as I post this I'll post before and after pictures :)

Later I'll be making smoked kielbasa with rice and peas and fresh bread. Maybe some blueberry cobbler for dessert.

Later today or tomorrow, we're going to try and go get Nik a new mattress. It's 40 miles one way to get it but it's only 6 weeks old. I hope it works out because he's sleeping on a dilapidated old bunk bed mattress that we've had since he was 2.

Saturdays are kind of our days off. I try not to plan on doing anything I'll need Nik's help with so that, aside from regular chores, we can both do whatever we want.

I actually haven't had a day off in over 15 years. Since Nik was born I've spent one night away from him, which I spent with my aunt at a hospital in Kansas City. He's been babysitted exactly 7 times in 15 years and each time was less than 2 hours.

I was thinking about that the otherday, a friend had mentioned not getting to be away from home very often, and at first when I thought back I thought it sounded like a bad thing. But then I came to my senses and realized we can never judge our own lives by anyone elses, nor can we judge their by our own. My life has been so very blessed in many ways, the main one being that I've been able to spend so much time with my son and have rarely had to worry about the care he was getting elsewhere.

Back to the present .... the guy who was giving me two pallets brought them yesterday. I was going to be using them for the floor of the new henhouse but they're smaller then I expected so I'll use the other huge one we have and use these as a little porch at the door of their house. When it's very wet at all the ground right in front of the henhouse becomes a mudpit so I'm going to add a little porch thingy. We shouldn't have to worry tho for gathering eggs because I hope to add two doors to the new house so we can get in without having to go into the pen at all.

For now I'm off to rake the dog pen.

Merry Saturday :)

No comments: