Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

9.2.08

It smells like Fall outside this morning :)

It gave us a feel of excitement, thoughts of Samhain, picking walnuts, first fires in the stove, pumpkins, big pots of stew and bright leaves, like dancing jewels, falling to the ground.

A while back we got a leaf blower/vac at a yard sale, Nik's quite excited about using it :) I'm excited that it will make mulching that much easier !

We didn't get as much done yesterday as I had hoped but that's part of living a simpler, more gentle life, or being lazy, it just depends on who you ask :)

We do have the fence cut and ready for the cat run and the base of the henhouse and a fine tuned blue print but not much else.

Today I think we'll just work on the henhouse, stack a bit of firewood and work on the medicinal garden.

Yesterday we had blueberry bread for breakfast, potato soup with fresh sourdough bread for dinner, ham n cheese sandwiches for supper.

Today's menu is, parmesan pepper biscuits for breakfast, ham with peas and rice for dinner, peanutbutter and jam sandwiches for supper.

I also intend to try and get some oatmeal cookies baked if I have enough butter.

Merry Day everyone :)

2 comments:

oldcrow61 said...

I've been thinking of Samhain myself lately. Figuring out the menu for the feast. Will have friends in for the celebration. I too have a nice size herb garden filled with medicinal and magical herbs. All perennials and organically grown. It's one of my joys.

Unknown said...

I prefer to think of it as the simple life. When you work so hard and are in a rush to get everything done, then you are too tired to really enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Blessings to you and Nik.