Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Friday, October 10, 2008

10.10.08

Another wonderfully chilly start. I don't know, there's just something exciting about scurrying around in the morning to pull a sweater on over your nighty, shut the window and get the kettle :)

If someone asked me what my favorite part of the day is I don't think I could answer. I love the whole day. But I do so love the mornings when it's still, the world is asleep and I am quite alone. I've always loved being alone.

I've been working to retell The Car, one of 3 major haunted events that happened when I was a child. The Railroad Children story was actually posted out of place. It's second of the 3. In order they are, The House, The Railroad Children and The Car. I've had many similar experiences in my life, so much so they've become commonplace, but none quite like these 3.

Morning chores are tended and yesterdays sore muscles feel stronger again.

We've had to barrow an electric drill to finish the henhouse. My poor drill has already run down again. I'll try to get a new battery for it soon.

We got a far amount done yesterday tho sadly an hour an a half was spent trying to pull up a one single fence post. It became Nik's nemesis after a while and they battled for quite some time. The main problem with that was, it was right in the middle of where we needed to be for the henhouse.

The pen and house has to be like a fortress. We could just lock all the chickens up each night and let them out each day but I want them to have at least a small pen attached so they can come and go as they choose. And that way too, if anything happens and we can't get out to them, they're safe night and day and can get out and eat and have fresh air and writhe around on the ground.

Today's menu is ... cold cereal with a banana for breakfast. Smoked sausage with mashed potatoes, corn and bread for dinner. Oatmeal with honey and cinnamon for supper. Oatmeal is such a good a peaceful thing to eat :)

Merry day !

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Nic sounds alot like his mom. LOL Hope you two have a wonderful weekend.