Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

11.22.08

It was very cold this morning. We went out a bit later for chores and discovered a flat on the Crow truck. Thankfully it was just a flat and one of the front tires.

Just before noon we went to a neighbor to see if her could air it with his compressor but on the way another neighbor asked and offered to take it to town and have the spare put on the rim for us. He returned and said every place was closed till monday ? but he said he could take it to work with him Monday and have it put on the rim. Apparently the current tire split in the cold last night. I've never heard of that but it didn't go down slow like a leak and I hadn't driven it for a few days.

Anyway, all is well and we'll get it fixed properly Monday.

The sun has been extra bright the last few days, like it is sometimes when it's very cold and clear out.

I stayed up late last night reading about modern pioneer lifestyles, I love that stuff ! and making a batch of healing salve. I've made it many times but have never written down the proper amounts *~* so I always wonder if it will set up properly or if I'll have to melt it back down and add more bees wax. I checked this morning and every jar set up perfectly :)

I need more bees wax tho, I ran out and only had enough for 6 small jars. I'm also already running low on Mullein and I've had a few people recently ask to buy some single herbs by the ounce. Something to consider when I harvest next year. I need more room to dry tho.

I used to have a link for this excellent page on firewood, it explained about stacking, storing, cutting and how big a rick and a cord should actually be. Very simple and with pictures :) but I lost it when I lost all my favorites a while back. I actually did have a back up on the computer but that particular link wasn't in them.

I did find this link http://www.endtimesreport.com/storing_firewood.html and it is a good site. We're going to try and make the wood cutting saw horse thing and try to find a cross cut saw too. It will be easier and safer then the chainsaw on the big limbs.

I'm also going to try and make some little totem people for the spirit garden out of a few long limbs. Just a rough little face carved out with a hatchet and hammer, or something *o* They'll be cool however they come out :)

Today's menu ... Breakfast - leftover biscuits warmed with ladles of steaming hot pepper gravy, coffee, apple juice and hot chocolate to drink. Lunch - chedder burgers on buns with oven fries and pop and ice tea. Supper - homemade chicken noodle soup (because Peggy made me hungry for it) made with leftover chicken and vegetables, tea and pop. Dessert - baked apples with cinnamon, walnuts and raisins, hot tea and cocoa.

2 comments:

Peggy said...

biscuits and gravy sounds so good! I now have a pot of veggie beef soup simmering on the back of the stove today. Loving this cold weather!

Phill said...

Best wishes for the tire! Sounds like you have it taken care of though. It's funny - I have been thinking a lot about storing food lately too - putting lots of stuff in the freezer. Including the corn chowder - thanks for the advice!