Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Friday, December 19, 2008

12.19.08 warm and windy

The wind is amazing this morning. It's actually what woke me. It sounds like it does in the movies :) It's a wonderful thing. I do wish I could hang some laundry out in it but the rain would defeat the purpose. Oh, and it's 50 deg at 4am on the 19th day of December in the Missouri Ozark Mountains.

The day before yesterday we went to walmart. I have nothing against walmart really, I try to shop local places instead but often have to go there anyway. We went mainly for dogfood, pedigree 44 pounds, they were out. I bought a baking timer because mine is so old it doesn't always ring, it doesn't work and I have to return it. I bought 6 cans each of peas, corn and green beans, .50 each, I was overcharged on 3 cans 1.16 each (3 cans for the price of 7). *~*

The woman in the animal food area who's in charge of ordering that stuff said that several brands (including Pedigree), all controlled by the same company were sold out and didn't know in anymore would be available. She said no stores in our area would have any except for small bags. I called around when we got home and she's right.

Our dogs eat Pedigree, some cooked meat scraps, some eggs, and some homemade things. I've been considering switching to nothing but homemade, I'll have to carefully go over the expense and figure out how long it can be stored and all that.

Yesterday I returned the things to our Super and found that when food is returned it's logged and dumped in the trash and no one is allowed to have it. It doesn't even go to charity. Sometimes the everyday simple atrocities overwhelm me.

The guy at the super, who is my friend, gave me the corn for the same price as the other and refunded the balance. I was so thankful but felt like crying to know food was being thrown away when so many go without. As I walked to the Crow truck I thought I could hear the Mother sigh sadly and the Father release a heavy breath. How tired they must be.

I've been working on some tea orders for Valentines Day. I got a custom order for some Lover sets and some preorders as well. While preparing the custom order I wanted to have more professional looking labels but keep it natural and organic feeling as possible. I came up with some great ideas, very simple things I probably should have thought of ages ago but I tend to concentrate on the product way more than the packaging. Anyway, I spent much of yesterday and will continue preparing the new packaging :)

I also have two gift boxes to get out and there are two families we kind of adopted this year. I never know if people like being adopted by someone who only gives handmade and second hand things. I hope they do.

Todays menus is ... Parmesan pepper biscuits for breakfast. Roast chicken and wildrice for dinner. Leftovers for supper. Fresh banana bread and hot tea for dessert.

Yule is just 2 days away and I've changed the Yule menu a bit

Yule Feast

Summer Sausage
Cheddar
Gouda
Deviled Eggs
Mountain Bread
Green Olives
Apples
Cookies
Coke
Iced tea

I'll also post Christmas Feast menu in a bit.

Merry day everyone :)

3 comments:

Jj Starwalker said...

You have great products, I am sure... but in this market, packaging is AS important. One of my clients, who had me design her logo for her soapmaking business several years back, found labels made of something like that brown "craft paper" (like paper bags) that she could run through her ink jet and we worked up label designs for her around that concept. I don't know where she found the labels but I believe it was an online vendor, knowing her... that sort of concept might work well for you also.

oldcrow61 said...

It's disgusting the amount of food that restaurants and supermarkets throw out. So many hungry people and food just being thrown away. I have to agree with Jj starwalker, packaging is very important.

Unknown said...

that's pretty sad how they just throw the food out.

i'm also become flustered by the simple things like that...things that just make no sense to me.