Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

12.24.08 Merry Christmas Eve :)

It's very wet and muddy out. Not at all frozen like we had expected. It was 40 deg at 7am.

I'm taking a break from a bit of baking to have some spinach dip and chips. I'm baking chocolate came and bread pudding for tomorrow. I always cook a huge feast which feeds us for a week :)


Earlier we gathered and broke up some more kindling, which is drying on the porch. Gathered eggs of course, we're getting between 9 and 14 each day and more hens are starting to lay as well. I've been leaving the light on on the very cold nights but only to keep the hens warm. I wouldn't want to mess up their natural balance, I would rather they be happy and healthy :)

Todays menu ... English muffins with creamcheese and blueberry preserves for breakfast. Cornchips and spinach dip for lunch. Pizza for supper. Fruit cake and hot tea for dessert.

We had the same thing for dessert yesterday and I ate so much I got sick *~* But it was very good :)

I sent gift boxes to my sisters, a stocking for a stocking exchange and a box to a family I kind of adopted. I had so much fun making them all up tho I should have started sooner because I wanted to send things to other people and never got to it. I took pictures of the sister boxes but accidentally deleted them *~*


Stocking in handmade beaded bag. Soap, tea, bath salts, body scrub, earrings and hand painted bookmark
This was sent out before the new packaging.



New soap packaging
~*~ Salve packaging
~*~New Tea, bath salts and body scrub packaging.
~*~


I think I'm going to get some gift boxes made up to sell as well. I had a lot of interest in them this year and had a good sale of tea for another person making up gift baskets for Lupercalia or Valentines day.

I've been working hard on packaging and I do agree with everyone who said it was important :)

I'm trying to get the house warm enough now to take showers and I have a floor to vacuum and some ginger root to chop. Otherwise I'll read and rest and enjoy the day immensely :)

Merry day all !

4 comments:

Peggy said...

You are having a busy but fun Christmas Eve! I love your new packaging. Stay warm and have a wonderful Christmas

Phill said...

Happy Day! I am straightening up around here today too. The packaging on the handmade stuff looks terrific. I especially love the way the salve is done. I put some chicken out to defrost and made another gingerbread so we would have it for tonight. Have a lovely day!

Granny Sue said...

I'm baking too, Gypsy. Tomorrow I'm cooking at my my single son's house for him, his three children, my husband and my youngest son. I'm baking black walnut cookies, dark chocolate chip cookies, orange dipped cookies (that are a lot of trouble to make, I learned, and I'm not sure they're worth it), cherry-nut wreath cookies and chocolate chip spritz cookies. This is my first time to use a cookie press (it was in a box of auction junk) and it's kind of fun.

Tonight I'll make mincemeat pie and pumpkin pie, then tomorrow morning I'll cook a turkey, pack everything up and take it to my son's house.

A busy, merry day, even though the rain has never stopped all day.

Unknown said...

i certainly know what it is to eat enough sweets til you're sick. i'm in a sugar hangover right now. :-/

your packaging looks nice, and given your skillfulness with herbs and such, i'm sure all of those items are divine!