Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Freezing Eggs

I don't generally do this myself unless I crack an egg or they're frozen and cracked, even then I often just break them into a small bowl and use them within the next 2 days. I bake a lot :) But many people don't have hens and need to be able to stock up or, they have more eggs then they can keep. Freezing is easy to do and a good way to keep them, they can be used any way that regular eggs can, in recipes or scrambled. Just take out how ever many you'll need and let them thaw.

To freeze ....


You'll need .... a lightly buttered or sprayed muffin pan, small bowl, fork or whisk and eggs.

Break each egg into the small bowl and whisk lightly to break the yolk and mix. But don't beat the egg to much.

Pour each egg into one of the muffin cups and when it's filled put it in the freezer for a few hours, until they're frozen through.

When frozen they'll be darker and almost look cooked.

To release the eggs I have a bowl of very hot water to heat a large metal spoon and a piece of wax paper to turn the eggs out on.

Just let the spoon warm in the water and rub the bottom of the muffin cups with the back of the warm spoon. I work quickly so the water doesn't cool to much.

Some eggs will just fall out and you'll need to tap some of them out. They'll start to thaw a little but try not to let them thaw to much.

When they're all out, arrange them in a gallon freezer bag in a single row so that they can freeze hard again, that also keeps them from freezing together so that you can easily take out the amount you need. Once they're completely frozen again you can store them however you want.

They keep a very long time this way and are very easy to use.

5 comments:

Phill said...

Mmmm. Very clever.

Granny Sue said...

I've known about this.Gypsy, but never have tried it because we use our eggs so fast. However, recently an egg truck overturned and lots of our friends got eggs for free because the state had to get rid of them, so I've got extra ones in the fridge too. I'll have to try freezing a few. Even tho I have chickens, we still run low from time to time. Especially with company coming.

TheresaJ said...

Great information -- thanks for sharing. It never even occurred to me that you could freeze raw eggs.

oldcrow61 said...

I've done this myself when I have an over abundance of eggs. Instead of a muffin pan, I use ice cube trays. When frozen, I pop them out and put them in freezer bags.

Unknown said...

always learning something new. i'd never considered this.