Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Friday, December 19, 2008

Yule Night

~*~YULE NIGHT~*~

'Twas the night of the solstice and all gathered round,
everyone silent, not making a sound.

When, out of the darkness there appeared an old king.
On his brow he wore holly, all bound with gold string.
Then, out of the light a younger king spoke.
And he wore on his head a caplet of oak.
He said, "Greetings my brother." then bowed very low.
Suddenly we were surrounded by new falling snow.

Then, the old king with holly all bound up with gold,
said, "I'm sorry dear brother but I've gotten too old,
I'll see you next, when the circle shall wane,
and that will be my time to walk the earth plane."

The Oak King, he smiled and said, "'Tis true,
the light half for me and the dark half for you.
When the does become fertile and the bucks are all strong,
when the days become shorter and the nights become long.
Then, my King brother, twill be my time to yield,
when again pagans dance in meadow and field.
But for now, old King, to you a sweet rest,
and I shall be ruler, for this is what's best."

Then, in a twinkling of a candles bright flame,
The Holly King conceded, and left as he came.
The Oak King, he smiled and gave a sly wink,
and said, "Farewell to my brother, and now let us think,
of feasting and merriment. To the light we shall drink!"

Then suddenly fairydust fell from above,
and filled us with laughter and joy and love !
Then came a flash of bright firelight,
and we all heard him call as he blinked out of sight,
"Merry Yule to you all and to all a blessed night!"

Juli 1995
For Nik

6 comments:

Peggy said...

that is beautiful!!!!!

Kristin Dombrowski said...

This is absolutely wonderful!!! Thank you for posting it!

Granny Sue said...

What they said!--perfect. Thank you for sharing it. i like this better than the traditional poem.

Anonymous said...

You are so gifted - I wish I could see the world/life through your eyes!



Slo

clown princess said...

Juli - what an awesome poem. I love it!

oldcrow61 said...

A wonderful poem Juli.