Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

01.17.09

It's been very busy here lately, a good busy, but busy none the less :)

today was wonderful, bright and sunny, almost 50 deg. I nice change from the bitter cold.

A few days ago my hand got smashed by a sliding glass door that we had to lift off to get my hand out. My two middle fingers, I truly thought they were broken and anyone who knows me well would tell you I have a high tolerance for pain. It hurt so much I almost threw up *~* My two middle fingers, they turned black and swollen right away. But, altho they still ache and they hurt when touched, they seem to be just very bruised and still swollen a bit. Actually all 4 fingers are bruised but the two middles ones are worse. I'm lucky tho, and thankful !

On the same day my fingers were hurt we got a wonderful and most amazing gift ! my dear friend sue gave us her Mothers old computer, monitor and printer. it's a very nice one and fancy one :) large flat screen monitor too, I can see so much better on it I had a flat screen but it was much smaller. it was like Christmas again. I gave my old one to Nik for his room so we both got new computers. I'm kind of trading artwork for it but (((((((((((((Sue)))))))))))))) sent it to me with nothing in return. out of kindness and nothing more.

Peggy and William were the same about fixing the brakes on the crow truck when William visited us.

Such truly good people all around.

Also this week, Sheri published the second part of her great article about homesteading. The burrow was included in the part 2 :) I love the way Sheri writes, she strings together words like faceted beads on a string, catching the light and dancing it off every surface. you can read the articles here, tho i had trouble with the first link.

Also, the other people in the articles are also my friends. Peggy and her goats, Jim and his wolfdogs. I can't remember who was in the first one but I know they're my friends as well :)

http://www.homestead.org/SheriDixon/InSearchof/InSearchOfAuthenticHomesteaders.htm

http://www.homestead.org/SheriDixon/InSearchof/PartTwo/InSearchOfPartTwo.htm

We've been averaging about 14 eggs a day not counting duck eggs. The one really bloody cold day we had we lost 5 eggs to freeze. the chickens got to eat them tho so they were happy.

Today we didn't get to much done. We drove to Springfield to pick up some freecycle fencing and a gate, thank you sooo much ! and drop off some clothing which we freecycled. A good amount of fence and a lovely wooden gate with a new latch :)

Next Friday is Nik's birthday, he'll be 16 *~* He's grown so fast the last few years, tho i guess they always do. I've always been torn about his growing up. On one hand I miss so much carrying him on my hip and him following me everywhere and being such a good helper. On the other, I could not be more proud of anyone. he's one of the kindest, most gentle and courteous people I've ever known. He is so very gentle and fiercely courageous, highly intelligent and silly as can be. And in just a few more days he will also be 16

5 comments:

LivingSimply47 said...

Hi Juli,
I wanted to stop by and thank you for stopping my blog and leaving a lovely comment. Thank you so much for your thoughts and you are welcome back anytime. Hope you are having a good weekend,
Ro

Betty Refour said...

thanks Juli. you are always so kind. hope that hand feels better soon.

oldcrow61 said...

You certainly have some lovely friends by the sound of it. Nik sounds like a wonderful young man. They grow up so fast and before long I expect he'll be flying from the nest to make his way in the world. Not too soon though! Hope your fingers are healing well. You must have given them quite a smashing.

Phill said...

Such a great batch of wonderful blessings this week and lately at the Burrow! Happy Birthday to Nik! Take care of those fingers - they create so many beautiful things.

Granny Sue said...

Ouch! I hope the fingers are healing. I am glad to hear that you have such good friends around you.
Nik sounds like a good son. It is difficult to see them grow up, and yet exciting to see what they become.