Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

2.17.09

It's been pretty cold each morning but warming nicely as the day goes.

I've gotten some outside work done the last few days, yard work and cleaned off the porch a bit.

On Monday we took Wicket and Oded to the Vet for neutering, poor guys. They're always so afraid, but it can't be helped and is for the best for everyone. I'm sure they would disagree.

After we dropped them off Monday morning we stopped at a little store and get a drink and there was commotion going on in the parking lot. We didn't see anything happen but the woman in the store told us that a drunken driver had just crashed into some mail boxes where just a little bit before some kids were waiting for a school bus. She said the man was so horrified that he stayed and called the cops on himself. I'm so very glad no one was hurt, especially children. And jujus for the guy, maybe this will be what he needs to make the changes.

Last years, 2008, we were able to adopt out 8 cats to permanent homes. Dragon, Big Eyes, Comet, Mew, Tig, Jewel, Rivie and Three. And, altho I wish we had no cats that needed homes, I'm so thankful that there are still good loving homes to be had !

We took the cats in at 8:00 and the next time I looked at the clock that day it was 10:10.

Last Friday we saw the first Robin and heard Peepers that night. It was so wonderful. But I worry that it will turn back cold and kill the budding trees and all the poor peepers. It's also problematic that it is so warm this early if it doesn't turn cold again. But it's all to be expected with the changes.

I haven't heard back from the woman who bought my domain name. I had written her asking to buy it back for a reasonable price or even trade for art. It was worth a try. I can't imagine anyone else wanting the name but maybe she'll have some buyers for her price ? it is a bummer but if no one buys it from her I can just wait until next year and try to buy it when it expires.

I got some seeds started the other day, Broadleaf Sage, Green Bell Peppers, True English Lavender, Echinacea, German Chamomile, Heirloom Poppy, Spearmint and Heirloom Lunar plant.

For supper last night we had BBQ brisket that our wonderful neighbor brought us. Her husband is a BBQ'er as a side business and is very good at what he does. It was soooo good :)

Tonight we had Tortilla Pizzas. Tortillas lightly toasted on the tortilla pan with the basic burrito fixings but all spread out and covered with a second tortilla and cut like a pizza. It's good stuff :)

In the morning we're taking Apollo to be neutered. One of the local Vets is having a special price for spaying and neutering. We have a regular Vet but with prices as they are I try to use the yearly specials and treat as much as possible at home. I used to be able to give rabies shots myself, they used to sell them at the feed stores. but they stopped that years ago.

2 comments:

Peggy said...

You are so good to all animals! I think they sense this and thats why they come to your place. I am enjoying your teas very much. I wish I could blend teas but will leave that to you. I am just not good at it.

Jj Starwalker said...

We got certificates from the Humane Society to help with our remaining spay/neuters. It still costs a lot, no wonder so many folks can't afford it.

They are wanting over $100 in lab work for Brandi first, as she is OLD, just to see if she can stand the surgery. While I understand the need, I wish vets would be a little more accommodating of poor folks who love critters!