Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Thursday, June 4, 2009

6.4.09

Every day this week has been extraordinary. I'm so grateful for this life. We do work hard on occasion but most days are filled with joy and much of the work is doing, or tending, what we love.


. .....................................................................Firebolt

Yesterday I made goat and rabbit cookies. I searched around and found that many recipes for horse and goat cookies called for eggs, which doesn't seem right to me since they wouldn't naturally eat eggs and I prefer our creatures just like I prefer all things. Natural :) So I took the two recipes I found that did call for eggs and used them to create my own recipes. I'll post them in a bit.


............................................................... Luscious Goat Cookies

We've had wonderful laundry weather so i got as much done as I could without washing everything in the house. Heavy blankets and winter clothes were washed and stored away as well. We keep a few thinner waffle blankets out year round but everything else is store under mattresses and in the cedar trunks.

...................................................................... Laundry Day

I got a few more things planted, corn, green beans, carrots, white eggplants and marigolds. I also traded more duck eggs for two large bunches of Mugwort, and one each of English Mint and Ginger Mint.

Herc is doing wonderfully, We're so blessed to have him. At just over 3 months he knows his job and does it like a seasoned pro :) and he's so very, very sweet ! a giant rolly polly. He's also remarkably easy to brush, that is, his fur is easy to brush. he is actually a huge pain to brush because he won't hold still and writhes like a maniac.

I think someone had asked about his size. Both Pyrenees and Nefoundlands get huge. Herc could get up to 40 inches at the shoulder and weigh as much as 160 pounds. That's on the largest size tho and will likely be closer to 36 inches and 150 pounds :)

We found a turtle in the road the other day and brought him home. We find them often in turtle season (eastern box turtles) and stop and get them from the road but usually we just move them to the side they were headed to. This turtle was different tho, when Nik bent to get him, he turned fast and tried to run away ! I've never seen a turtle move so fast. We named him Flash and brought him home but he escaped the temporary turtle corral while we were building a better one. No doubt that's just the way it should have been :) You can tell males from females by the undershell, males have a concave shell and females are flat.



An updated picture of the Berries :) Blackberry, Blueberry & Raspberry

Now I need to go get some tea orders out. Merry day !

4 comments:

libu said...

that is too adorable and I love the names!! hi sweet kitten faces!!!xxxooo

Patinaware said...

I love the names you gave them!
Adorable kittens :)

Unknown said...

We've been having great laundry weather too! I love line-dried blankets.

Love the Berries- too cute!!

oldcrow61 said...

Firebolt is a lovely cat and the kittens are just adorable.