Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Thursday, July 9, 2009

7.9.9

It's a bit hotter today but not to bad. High 80's and will likely reach low 90's by afternoon but with average humidity. Normal July summer weather I would say :)

Herc is doing so much better ! He's not completely fine but getting there quickly. I'm so glad, we were very worried about him. He's growing faster than any creature I've ever known. He's went from a little cuddly panda bear to a giant cuddly Yeti :)

The tomatoes have been strangely slow to ripen this year and I lost all but two of the heirloom tomatoes. My beloved white sage and patchouli didn't make it either but most everything else is doing well. The roma tomatoes have tons of fruit and the little heirloom yellow pear tomatoes have quite a few.

Next year i may try to plant a lot of a few things to sell and trade at market instead of a little bit of many things which just feed us for a few months each year.

Yesterday we were given a beautiful Rhode Island Red Rooster, we've named him Fox Redford and he's very sweet. I hope to get the garden fenced in soon so that he and Juniper can have the run of it during the day. Until I get a greenhouse built which I'll share with them as well.

First tho we have to get the rest of the goat pen fenced in, which is going slowly but at least it's going. Ruby and Matilda are about 5 months and look like small cows with their healthy fat four stomachs. They should be ready to have a date by October, if they're mature enough. Ruby has the maturity now, I hope Matilda catches up. Both are very smart and sweet and I can milk both now :) Of course I don't milk them, they have no milk. but we practice often so they'll be quite used to it.

And now I'm to go get more blackberries :)

1 comment:

mel said...

I love hearing about your goings-on...

Glad to hear Herc is feeling better (although I don't think I know what his trouble was)....