Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

10.13.09

It seems to rain most days now. It has seemed so for the last few weeks, 3 to 4 days of rain a week at least. I love the rain, I always have, it washes away the old so that the new can take it's first step. but it's not good for goat feet or preparing for winter. As soon as possible I need to build a much larger goat house in case this is the way of things to come. The goats and Herc need more room to move around and live when there's so much rain. The hens too.

Things are progressing slowly with the accident but they are progressing nonetheless. I have decided just to sign off on everything so that it can be done with. They say the poor crow truck is totaled but I intend to buy it back and we'll see what can be done.

In the last few weeks my computer crashed, I lost 180. dollars because of a mistake on my part and then the accident. It's been overwhelming and so strange but I know the result will be a very good thing.

................

About 2 weeks ago we switched from using any shampoo to using only baking soda and AC vinegar for rinse. The results have been very good and both our hair is healthier than ever. It does feel weird in the shower but it does seem to clean well regardless. My next step is to scent the baking soda. I don't mind it not scented but I want to see if I can without changing the way it works.

I wouldn't recommend it for people with oily hair altho you still should try it at least once and maybe it just helps balance the natural oils. I know my hair, which has always been a bit dry (even taking E daily), is no longer dry at all.

Also, adding herbs to the vinegar rinse is a wonderful thing. Altho I've just started using baking soda alone I have added it to shampoo for years and used vinegar rinse even longer. I keep an old bottle in the bathroom just for rinse and add rosemary sprigs to the main bottle. I use an old water bottle or plastic cup to add the vinegar to and then when I'm ready to rinse I fill it up with warm water.

Baking soda wise, I use 2 tablespoons for about 16 ounces of water. Nik has shorter hair and uses 1 T and no vinegar rinse. We both have very thick curly hair.

I'm still working on homemade dish soap and deodorant.

.....................................

The weekend before the accident I made some excellent finds at a yard sale ... i got a wash tub for 5.00 , a hammer for .25 censt, a small saw for .25 cents, a sheet to make a curtain with for 50 cents, a large roll of unused screen for 25 cents and a box of old wax and candles for free. And that is one of the ways we live so well on so little :)

Then this past weekend I found a large box of fabric for 1.50, none of it is really my style but as luck would have it, it's all the rage now for normal folk :) There is probably around 10 yards of about 8 different fabrics. As I was paying I could see all the cat toys and pillows I will make and sell.

...............

I had a dream the other night that someone was trying to get me to get my realtors license and that Nik and I found a baby pig. yes, I probably need to get out more.

.....................

At the last Farmers market before the accident i found myself, as I often do, staring off and daydreaming. I was shocked to realize I was daydreaming about having a mate *o* It would be a lie to say it never crosses my mind but when it does, it's just a fleeting thing and then i come to my senses. This time I came to my senses and still the thought lingered.

................

I managed to get a discounted blueberry bush from Lowes a few weeks back and we got it planted. I thought we needed two to produce but the guy said one produces fine if it has enough something in the soil. I think it's magnesium, I wrote it down somewhere. A Blueberry bush was high on my list of foods to get.

....................


Summer seems to have gone by more quickly than usual. Fall is my favorite season I think but there was so much i had planned that didn't get done.

Ah well, there's always next year. Merry Fall (((((((((((((( everyone )))))))))))))))

4 comments:

Peggy said...

Juli, keep pines needles around your blueberry bush. Thats what we were told they needed and it really worked!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update :)

Linda Foley said...

Yup blueberries need an acid soil and pine needles are acid.

Juli does you have the direction to use the baking soda and vinegar on your hair?

I'm not going to approach the idea of a mate. Although I would say that I probably would not look for a mate again. Marriage is great, but a relationship can take a lot of turns and present a lot of challenges...

Diana said...

Good luck to you on keeping things runnng smoothly. The rain this year has slowed alot of my projects also and th summer has flown by. Where do I find out about your cabin?