Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Monday, April 19, 2010

4.19.10 Lunch Break

Another glorious day at the Burrow! We were going to try and see the space shuttle this morning but we both forgot. We're getting more sleep at night but still feeling tired. I think we just need to catch up. Nik doesn't have to get up with me to feed Kirin but he always does anyway, good lad that he is.

Speaking of Kirin, his eyes are open :) He still can't really see, probably just movement, but he sure is cute :) It's hard to tell in pictures but he's probably 5 times the size he was just two weeks ago and weighs 10 times as much. He started on kitten formula, which I always keep on hand. but I've switched him to half kitten formula and half goats milk. He looks like a tiger striped cotton ball.


Anya is doing wonderfully, as are all the goats :) we don't use the horse lead at all and aside from an occasional stomp to ask for something she as good as can be.


We have a herd of 7 total now but I'm going to be adjusting some things and selling or trading a few of the younger ones to what feels right for us. I really like Nubians, they very beautiful, but I love the Saanens as well. I think generally the Saanens are my favorites. I'm going to try and get it down to maybe 2 to 3 milking does tho until I find a another place to buy or the chance that the guy will remember our contract on this place.

Things are otherwise wonderful, beautiful days (tho we need some rain), cool nights perfect for sleeping, green trees full of sneeze magic and a whole world full of wonder :)

3 comments:

Christy said...

What a cute little baby! It is so much work bottle feeding a kitten.

JoyceAnn said...

The kitten is so healthy looking , thanks to his wonderful caretakers. You and Nik have did a great job mothering that little fellow.


~ Many Blessings ~

Ah Ngao said...

Hi Juli,
very nice place you got there.i'm always being intrigues with Gypsies lives and times - i got some ideas from reading Enid Blyton story books when i was very young. may i know what you feed to your goats?