Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Homemade Berry Syrup




This morning I made strawberry syrup from our fresh strawberries but you can use most any berry, fresh or frozen. I've made it with blueberries, wild blackberries, mixed berries, wild elderberries (it takes a lot of elderberries so i usually mix them with others), wild raspberries and raspberries from the farmers market. I tried raisin syrup once but we didn't like it all *~*

I do everything by hand but you could use a mixer or something the squish the berries, or it's wonderful with the berries left in. Just be sure the opening of you bottle or jar is big enough. I strain my syrup because my son doesn't like the chunks but never throw our the berry pulp. We usually have it on scones or shortbread for dessert or breakfast with a splash of cold milk.

this is the recipe I use ...

Homemade Berry Syrup

2 c berries
1/2 c water
2 c sugar
2 T lemon juice (optional)

Add 2 cups berries (cut up if they're large) and lemon juice to a heavy sauce pan. Mash up with berry or potato masher. Add water and sugar, mix well and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Strain into warmed bottle or jar, cap tightly and refrigerate. Put strained bits in a bowl to use later (they can aslo be frozen) The syrup thickens as it cools. Makes about 3 cups.

It's also very good in iced tea and milk :)

4 comments:

Free said...

I think i'll do this tonight! I just picked a big ol basket of strawberries. What about dehydrating the pulp to use for bread or muffins?

Juli said...

Excellent idea! I certainly don't see why it wouldn't work. Dehydrating fruit pulp is added to my things to do list :)

Free said...

I've got it in the dehydrator now. I'll let you know how it turns out. Maybe one day I'll get brave and try actually using the sun...

And the syrup is fantastic! Thank you for posting this little bit of inspiration!

Carolyn Watson-Dubisch said...

This sounds great. My kids love strawberries, but hate that artificial stuff they have in places like IHOP. :)