Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Friday, September 10, 2010

9.10.10 Lifewise & other things

I started this yesterday morning but have had trouble getting and staying online. It rained here for about 24 hours. Mostly a medium steady, much needed rain. There was some washing away but I do think a good amount was able to be absorbed. We live on the slightly sloping top edge of a ravine and one of the downsides is that our soil can be easily washed away. Another downside is tumbling down the ravine or being dragged down in your nighty by a giant black and white Yeti (Hercules). Yes, that actually happened to me one night *~*

It was 4:44 when I started typing yesterday, I haven't seen the numbers in quite a while. It's been months since we seen them but I've seen them again a couple times in the last week.

I've been working to type up a months' menu to share and will post it here for ideas when it's done. Along with a basic shopping list. I like reading menus even tho we don't eat like a lot of people, they're great for getting ideas and maybe trying something new. I'll add a basic shopping list as well and add prices just to compare.

Everyone here is doing well ...

Boywise ... Nik is doing great but has been slacking off on schooling. He's been though a lot lately and just needs some time. He was scheduled to go take his drivers test right before we left for Virginia. I'm going to have him concentrate on that for now, getting his licence :) He'll have many years for career and life, I have always let him find his own pace and he has always found it. He never ceases to amaze me, he is just an incredibly good person.

..........................................Firebolt and Wicket with big glowing orb eyes

Catwise ... Kirin has gotten quite big and feisty. He has so much wick and I believe he may be the most loving creature on Earth. Firebolt, Pyewacket, Pearl, Ursa, Wicket and Raspberry are also doing wonderful ... living cat creature lives and dreaming cat creature dreams.

.............................................. Kirin, almost 6 months old


Goatwise ... Thistle is doing well and I think she's going to become a very good milker. I wish she was bigger but I'm adjusting. Ivy is only 9 months and already almost as big as Thistle. She was bottle fed, which I don't like, but I'm hoping she'll grow out of that weird stalker-like behavior and become a great milk goat too eventually. I believe she'll be much better for me in size. One of the many wonderful things about Anya was how big she was. Like a small cow, which is exactly what I want.

Dogwise ... Star, Apollo and Hercules are doing wonderfully but I've listed Herc again to find him a better home. We love him dearly but I should have never gotten him with so little space. I've listed him twice before but couldn't go through with it because we love him so but because of that it's important he have more space and more opportunity to do what he loves. And it will make things much easier for us on caring and feeding him.

Chickenwise ... not only have we not had a broody this year but we also now aren't getting any eggs. Not an egg in quite some time. There are several who are molting but there are several who are not. It's just a very strange thing. I am hoping I can bring myself to turn at least 2 of them into meat and do a good job of it for them and us.

Rabbitwise ... Juniper is as big and fluffy as ever and still an expert in what makes excellent garden fertilizer :)


Just 11 more days until the Autumn Equinox. I'm so looking forward to it and yet, this year has gone by so very quickly. I guess that's a good thing tho because it's been a very hard year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am super excited about your menu plans....and you must watch out for the Yeti's...I hope that your search for a new home for Herc is successful....

donna said...

Hubby and I will be in MO by Nov. If you are still wanting to process chickens by then, I would be glad to help you with this project.