Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

9.21.10 Books & Bread Bowls




I haven't slept well or much. today is the day I'll be calling the house guy. I had planned to yesterday but had to wait on a part i needed. I know things will be as they should be but it doesn't ease the knot in my stomach.
Yesterday I got more done than i have in awhile but I always seem to run out of time. I need to get a slower hourglass :)

I got some laundry done and hung out. I've been washing in the machine and hanging to dry. I'm so thankful to have the washing machine but I actually enjoy washing by hand, it's like kneading bread to me. And I soooo love my wringer, things dry so much more quickly when I wash by hand now. I haven't washed that way nearly as often as I used to.

I got the henhouse and goathouse cleaned out and the caca moved to the vegetable garden spot. We'll wait until there's a good layer of leaves and then till it all in and put that bed to sleep for the winter. Hopefully, whoever plants it next will find a fertile healthy spot to grow some food.

While I cleaned the houses, Nik stacked some wood. Not firewood but wood pieces from building or fixing that had gotten left out or just thrown around the building wood pile. Things got a bit more disheveled this year than I usually let them get.

The mosquitoes are horrible this year. There must be a large amount of standing water somewhere, we've looked everywhere and try to keep everything dumped or clean. On the list for today is to make more homemade Mosquito Spray.

I also made breads yesterday. A loaf of sandwich bread and some bread bowls. We were going to have ham and vegetable soup made from the leftovers from Sunday dinner but our neighbor brought us some meat and sauce from her husbands' BBQ business. He's an excellent BBQ guy :) We'll miss some of our neighbors quite a bit. So we had BBQ sandwiches instead and will have the soup in bread bowls today.



.................................................... Bread Bowls

.................................................... Sandwich Bread


...................................................... Sad Recipe Book


Yesterday during the baking I realized I need to do something about my poor cookbook. It's looking a bit fraggled and waaaaay overstuffed *~*



I found 2 unaltered journal blanks the other day when cleaning out the wardrobe. I thought I had use them all and they're a bit expensive to buy. I love making the altered journals (I call them Altar'd Journals) so it was a wonderful surprise to find 2 of them just waiting to be altered :)

It's sooooooooooo wonderful to be painting again. I wish the paint would dry alittle faster tho because I have several things in my head that need to be canvas :) I need more room so that I can go from thing to thing while a wait for something else to dry or set ...







I need a bit more room for herbals too. Jars and jars of teas and herbs and things. The only thing I brought back from my mothers for myself was an herb book. It was sitting just inside and was almost the first thing I saw when i walked into her house. I think she left it there for me. I haven't read it yet but it looks like a very good book and I look forward to reading and using it.









Yesterday Nik checked my cell phone for something and notice the next billing date ... 10.10.10

No comments: