Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

9.23.10 Gracious Being & Winter Reading

Sometimes, we are so focused on the negative that we miss the graciousness all around us. but, if we can just remember to breath, I believe we will always find that goodness. Yesterday I received an email from Angela that touched me deeply.



When I was younger I saw a great deal of bad and, in my mind, I came to see the world as being 1 good for every 100 bad. I don't know what changed over the years, my perception, the balance, everything ... but, for some time I have experienced a shift in that old way. This year I have experienced so much kindness and generosity that I think there may be 1000 good to every 1 bad.

So, I want to say thank you. Which seems small in comparison. But, Thank You ! Every comment, kind word, generous offer, encouragement, prayer, energy, every thoughtful deed means so much to me. I am truly blessed and so very grateful.


(((((((((( All Of You ))))))))))))


Today has been glorious! Sun shining, breeze blowing, leaves rustling ... my face hurts from smiling :) It's such a glorious day that I dazed off while milking this morning and was done much to soon.

I have decided to go ahead with the name change for the homestead, businesses, studio and all. I have to wait a bit longer so that i can secure the domain but then I'll start changing everything over. What a task, but it will be worth it to have everything under one name and much more manageable. And I love the new name  :)

I had some odd news about the 2 missing hens. A neighbor asked why we had fed the chickens in the road. When i asked what he meant he said he had seen a car stopped in the road near the hens in the yard, person get out and pour something on the ground and wait for the hens to come near. he did not see the person take anything but we looked where he said and there was chopped corn on the ground.

We've not let the hens out since the 2 went missing but I'm going to be cutting a hen sized, latchable door in the goat door so that they can go into the goat pen each day and semi-free range there. The goat pen is 6 foot fence on all sides with a 6 foot gate.

Early this year i got a wonderful book from paperbackbookswap. The Adventures of the Woman Homesteader. I used to take it with me to the farmers markets and read when things were slow and it went to Virginia as well but I haven't read anything since we've been home.





I usually don't read much in the summer but the winters are filled with great books :) I look for winter reading all summer long, on the bookswap, at yard sales, library book sale and such. And even with this years oddness i have managed to still stock up on a few ... Living the Simple Life, Subterranean (horror), Dies The Fire - book 1 (apocalypse type series) and the Whole Earth Cook Book. I also just requested on the bookswap Pioneer Kitchen - a Frontier Cookbook, which I'm really looking forward to.



Another book I very looking forward to reading is The Garden Cottage Diaries by Fiona Houston. I've been waiting for it for quite some time. I first found out about it a few years ago, before it was even written. I read an article about the woman who wrote it, while she was still living that life. It's a monthly diary of a woman who had an 18th century cottage in her garden and decided to strictly live an 18th century life for one year. I believe she did it to prove that an 18th century diet was better than the average diet of the 21st century. I've had the joy to read a few bits from it and it sounds wonderful  :)




 
I know some people are wondering about the house situation. Basically, we can stay until next spring. I will have to pay more and get more paid which he considers overdue (strange story) but we can stay and that's what's important for now. In fact he said I could stay as long as I want as long as I pay him what he wants.

This gives us peace for now tho and allows me time to prepare and save. The truth is, monetarily I have nothing at the moment. One of the few drawbacks to living a very simple life is not having a lot financially. I spent my savings and more going to my mothers in Virginia and trying to pay off the funeral home. My mother had nothing at all and in fact had sold several paintings i sent her, to make ends meet. I never knew, but that's a different tale. Part of me regrets going but most of me does not. I believe we needed to go.



Anyway, now I will have time to plan, save, prepare. I will be looking for a place to buy, owner finance, pretty much 0 down at the moment, as close to an acre or more as possible, as private as possible. Everything in writing. A well would be a wonderful thing. A dwelling would be very nice as well. We truly want to stay in the Ozarks but where ever the path leads.



And now I'm off to go see if the Mugwort is ready for gathering seeds and to cut several herbs for drying. I'm going to plant a bit more lettuce as well, i think there may be time for one more small batch :)






2 comments:

Nancy said...

What a lovely post, Juli. I'm so glad things seem to be falling back into place... at least until spring. I too have been looking forward to slower times when winter comes to get some reading done. I just don't seem to have the time or energy for it right now.

Anyway, hang in there and keep us posted regardng your daily adventures. :)

JoyceAnn said...

Hi Julie ~ You've been on my mind a lot lately , so glad to hear that things are working out for now. It will be easier to move in the Spring if you need to.
Looks like you've found some great Winter reading material.

~ Peaceful Autumn Blessings ~