Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Chilly Days & Chimney Sweeps

The weather is amazing :) I love most kinds of days but these are for sure, my favorites.

The goats are doing very well and I think there's a chance that Thistle is pregnant. If so she would likely be due between the last of October and the first of December. Tho I believe it would be closer to December because she's definitely doesn't appear that far along. bad timing for the moving but they'll still be welcome. It's very hard to tell with goats and more so with goats being milked but her body shaped has changed and she's giving a bit less milk. I wish I knew for sure but I'll watch closely so that i can stop milking in her last weeks.

I'm making a big pot of chili today so we'll have chili a few times this week. You can find my basic recipe here http://barefootgypsyblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/basic-chili.html   Today will be chili cheese fries with corn. And, on the rest of the chili menu there is ... chili in bread bowls with salad and Frito pie (chili on corn chips with lettuce, cheese, and sour cream). The rest will be frozen for fast food another time.

Besides making chili, ... laundry got washed, hung, dried, in and folded, got the chimney swept, got the woodstove ready, got the roof swept off, a bunch of prairie grass in for Juniper to make her winter burrow, a few more boxes packed and a few more things cleaned and ready to go into boxes. I don't know if I'll get to it but I'm also planning on baking some cookies. Nik was asking for chocolate chip :)

Tomorrow I'm going to make some calls and see about getting the Blazer towed up to our mechanic. The guys who did look at it and try to work on it all did their best and tried to help, I appreciate the effort and willingness immensely, especially my ex-husband who tried to help and doesn't even like me.

9 more days until the trial. what a very strange ordeal it has become and how much simpler it would have been had he just asked me to move. I think that maybe some people don't even consider the simpler route because they don't realize they can walk gently down the path. Instead they think they must always rush forward, yelling loudly, machete swinging, hacking everything to bits.

I have run into some shock with looking for a place. I started with a list of 11 places I had found here and there online and have found, to my horror, that 7 of them have been foreclosed and are owned by the finance companies. Including the Wasola house. I feel terrible for the people who owned them and had likely long ago paid off the full value but owed so much in interest. The weird things is that if I could qualify for a loan I probably would and get the Wasola house. It's for sale now at less than half of the price the owners had listed it for.

Anyway, I'll keep looking and something will come along.

From Pioneer Kitchen, A Frontier Cookbook ....

Home Grown Yeast
(typed word for word)

  Boil six larger potatoes in three pints of water. Tie a handful of hops in a small muslin bag and boil with the potatoes; when thoroughly cooked drain the water on enough flour to make a thin batter; set this on the stove or range and scald it enough to cook the flour (this makes the yeast keep longer); remove it from the fire, and when cool enough, add the potatoes mashed, also half a cup of sugar, half a tablespoon of ginger, two of salt and a teacupful of yeast. Let it stand in a warm place until it has thoroughly risen. then put it in a large mouthed jug, and cork tightly; set away in a cool place. The jug should be scalded before putting in the yeast.

  Two-thirds of a coffeecupful of this yeast will make four loaves of bread.

 Mrs. B. R. Oldham
 Orysa, Tennessee

...



Wonderful night all!

2 comments:

lunamother said...

Juli- you know more than anyone that everything happens for a reason, even the stinky bits.

the trial may very well find you with compensation from your landlord since you've got receipts and he's got a mittful of un-done repairs.

that could go to a downpayment enough to buy into your Wasola house.

life is strange, but mostly in a good way :)

Juli said...

((((((((Sheri))))))

I doubt I'll get anything but I do want the judge to hear the whole truth.

Anyway, I don't qualify for conventional loans or anything like that for the Wasola house. We'll find a good place tho, for sue :)