Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Dreams, Forgiveness & Light

It was very crisp out this morning. And so bright it made my eyes water, like the world outside had become a crystal prism refracting the light of life more brightly than I have seen it in some time now.

The time change is always odd for me, makes things seem a bit less real for a day or so, almost like I'm half in this hour and half in the one it was before. It has never made any sense to me, if someone needs things done at a different time half the year then do the things at a different time, don't change time itself. Not that I ever know what time is anyway ...



I had a most wonderfully peculiar dream last night ...

In the dream we woke one morning to find almost everyone gone. None of our near neighbors were home and most seem to have packed quickly in the night and left. As we went further we began finding a few people here and there, who, like us, were surprised and had no idea what was going on. Eventually we got down about 3 or 4 miles away and found Caroline, and elderly widow woman, alone in her huge farm house. She was afraid and a bit confused and didn't want to leave her home but didn't want us to leave her so, Nik and I moved all our belongings and creatures to her farm and lived with, and cared for, her.

She had several fenced acres and we started going around, cahooting with others neighbors, and taking cattle, horses, fuel canned foods, whatever we needed from abandoned farms and houses. We herded livestock we didn't take to larger fields with ponds so they wouldn't starve. We made sure that the people who could not get out and get livestock had what they could handle. We gathered saddles and went by horseback to save what fuel we had. We grew and raised our foods, made do for ourselves and others and no one was left out.

One day a group of people showed up out of nowhere, 5 men and 3 women, 1 woman was hurt. We took them in and looked after the woman and came to find that there had been some big warning that night and most of the people had left the US for an unknown destination. We also learned that there were quite a few people left in the towns. So we got together with the neighbors, came up with 2 tractor trailers and drove to town to look for people and goods.

We found several people there and oddly, many were people I knew and several were people i didn't care for (people I felt wronged by and had no trust for). We found about 20 or 30 people altogether making our total around 50. We found a dear woman I met last summer and was so glad to see. We also found two of our teenage neighbors girls (Nik's longtime friends) who had been left at their school with some other kids. We also found some people who have not been so nice this year ... my ex-husband and his girlfriend, the crazy lawnmower guy who stalked and threatened me, a woman that works at a store we shop at who seems to loath me and is always very rude, the neighbors boyfriend who almost hit Nik with his car and the house guy. At first, honestly, I considered leaving them, the meaner ones, but that isn't the way so we took them as well but I didn't have much hope for them.

After that the dream shifted quickly and I saw two outcomes for each of the meaner people we had picked up. I saw the outcome of what I expected from them (bad things) and the outcome of what could be if I forgave them and gave them a full chance (good things). Seeing this from a distance, like watching a movie, I was so stunned at what difference that could make and how good these people could be. I chose forgiveness all around. The dream shifted again we were months along. All the meaner people had changed and were doing great. They were being kind and working hard. It seemed that each of them just needed something specific to put them on their right paths. I didn't know what it was they had needed for themselves but I could see they had found it. In the dream I went to bed happy.

Then I woke. With a smile :)



Aside from regular chores we had planned a day of dog bathing but I don't think it will be warm enough after all. It's 11:30 and only 49deg. It may still warm up enough but there probably won't be enough drying time so we'll wait and see how the week goes. If they don't get baths this week then they'll get dry baths and wait for a day I have the wood stove lit early and burning all day.

I've made another offer and had another declined. Like the last one this person was very nice and just wanted a lot more down. The good news it that the last several I have made offers on all accepted what I could afford monthly, they just wanted much larger down payments.

Everything else is much of the same, regular things and packing. We're going to start on pens and fences this week. All pens will be reduced by half so that we have half ready to be put up elsewhere. Then when everyone is moved and safe we'll take down the second halves and add them back onto the other halves. Everyone will be in much smaller pens for a while but everyone will be safe and secure, and all will eventually have full pens as good (or better) than what they have now.

My last big worry, besides actually finding a place *~*, are the plants. I have come to terms with losing all my herbs but there are a few very special plants and all our tiny orchard plants that i still want desperately to take. For one thing i believe they won't be allowed to live here when we're gone and for another, it's taken me a few years to just get these and we've worked hard to nurture them. There's still a chance tho, even if I have to mulch them 6 feet deep. There is always hope!

I now it's about dinner time. For breakfast we had bagels with butter. For Family Feast (Sunday Dinner) we're having a plate of cheeses, summer sausage, apples, bread and olives. Supper will be leftover vegetable soup from another day.
Nik's plate

No comments: