Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Saturday

Inside, warming up a bit and eating a proper lunch. sort of. chili cheese fries and all from the store. But I am not complaining because it tastes bloody good to me and!! it's warm :) I had to go into Springfield yesterday so i went by Sams and got some fast food ... bag of frozen fries, cans of premade chili, cans of baked beans, a package of BBQ pulled pork and some jumbo baking potatoes.

I don't know why but I've been very cold all day. I haven't made a fire because we're in and out so much I'm afraid I'll lose it and I'm trying to conserve wood.

I got some possible good news on the fireplace at the cottage, I talk to two different friends about it and they both think it might be easy to reopen and use. That would save money and worry about getting a wood stove right now.

I also need to find a taller ladder tho to check and clean the chimney, for fireplace or wood stove use. I will probably also need a couple more chimney sticks for the broom. Here we just hop up unto the roof with no ladder and it only takes 2 sticks. I'm a little obsessed about keeping the chimney and stove clean, I've had two different close friends lose their houses because of fire and one was due to creosote in the chimney pipe.

We got 2 cattle panels to enclose the trailer with. It was a splurge but I think they will well pay for themselves. They're 16 ft and the trailer is 5 x 10, so 2 will be perfect.


I've gotten lots of questions about the new place ...

The picture with the poultry is from when the people we met lived there about 2 years ago. It has been sitting empty since then.

The cottage is about 75 years old.

It has a stone fireplace that has been closed off, I hope to be able to open it for use.

It does need work but is soooo worth it and quite livable right now.

For water it has a standard well with electric pump, a spring fed pond and what might be a second simple open well which someone suggested might be an artesian well from the spring up the hill.

It does have electricity

It is way out in the country but not wilderness. Our closest human neighbors are about a mile and we're surrounded on all sides by huge acreages (the smallest appears to be around 170 acres). Cattle are the only close neighbors :)





Well lunch is finished so I'm back to work.

Merry day all !!

4 comments:

Peggy said...

Sounds heavenly!

the wild magnolia said...

Your new home sounds delightful! Hope the fireplace is opened and able to provide warmth and a place to cook very soon.

JoyceAnn said...

Hi Julie ~ Glad to hear you're getting settled in , hope the chimney problem is taken care of soon.
Can't wait to see pics of the cottage and the happenings going on there.

~ Many Blessings ~

Granny Sue said...

All good news :) I am just so glad for you and so relieved that it worked out.