Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Water!

Snow on Queen Anne







We have running water in the cottage now, thanks to a dear friend, a very nice plumber named Greg and Nik!


One of our greatest deficiencies in preparedness/survival/self sufficiency has long been water. Or, rather, lack of it. I store water in gallon jugs, over 50 of them, which we were so grateful for this last week. I was also working on (and will continue with) 55 gallon barrels for water storage. But, unless you're flooded, you really can't have to much water. I believe you can get by on a lot less than most people think but even so, the more you have ready, the better off you'll be.

Here we are very wealthy as water goes. We have the cistern (thank you so much to everyone who wrote saying that's what it most likely is) and now we're working on getting it cleaned and better set up. We have the spring fed pond, Gaia's milk always at hand with the possibility of a few fish soon too. And now we have the well up and running :) We had to have a pipe replaced by the plumber, tear out the old, horrifying insulation, put in new insulation and new heat lamp, Nik had to rewire a bit for the main power and new fuses but then it was just a matter of turning on the water and an order to .... Pull The Lever!

We still don't, and won't, have hot water running yet. I discovered today that the water heater is propane. I never thought to check it because I checked the stove and dryer hook up before moving and both were electric so I assumed the water heater was as well. I'll call the propane people Monday and see what it might take to get a small tank. For now I will continue to boil what we need and be so very grateful.

We also got the fridge in and set up today. Nik took the doors off and it still barely fit. All the doors are very narrow but especially the door to the Stone House, I believe it's only 2 ft wide. It probably sounds silly but those sorts of things make the Cottage all the more wonderful. Little strange and wonderful things everywhere we look.

Thank you all so much for the jujus, prayers, energies, love and hope you all shared with us and for us!! We are so incredibly blessed :)

1 comment:

the wild magnolia said...

How very wonderful to hear the good news about water.

Such a great new home you have. I'm sure it will be a blessing.

Have a good weekend.