Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day



For everyone who has ever mothered any child, wild or domestic, 
2 legged, 4 legged, finned or feathered ...
 
All good things!








It’s such a beautiful day. It’s was supposed to rain yesterday and today but we’ve not gotten a drop. And we need it so badly.
The sun seems much hotter than it used to be. Yesterday we were in the 70’s and it felt 70’s in the shade but in the sun it felt like 90 at least. It burnt like 90 deg sunshine reflected off water. I reckon the solar flares could have something to do with it. Odd that it was still just in the 70’s tho. We have 3 mechanical and 1 digital thermometers and all read the same.
Today is Mother’s Day and Sunday dinner. I had planned a ham with potatoes, carrots fresh bread rolls and oatmeal cookies. But I forget to thaw the ham so it’s tuna fish sandwiches instead.  I’ll make the ham tomorrow.
I came up with some vegetarian sandwich spreads last week. They all turned out very well and I’ll definitely make them again. I don’t have the portions measured out yet but …
They’re eaten on bread, crackers or salad etc., like tuna or chicken salad.
 
The first one is with potatoes. I shredded and cubed (tiny cubes) the 
potatoes. I boiled them in a strainer, in a big pot of water, boiled briefly until just tender. It took a long time for them to drain but the result was perfect. I used 6 small potatoes. When drained well I put them in a bowl and drizzled about 2 teaspoons of honey over them and tossed. Then added diced onion, diced celery, chopped fresh thyme, oregano, black pepper, sea salt, dill weed, little brown mustard and mayo. I used commercial mayo this time but also make my own. Mixed gently so not to mash the potatoes. Then added a small fresh carrot and medium cheddar, both shredded. Mixed lightly again and ate on small homemade bread rounds. It was delicious. I added the carrot last so it wouldn't turn it all orange but it did a little anyway.
 
The second was a spinach mushroom spread. I cut the spinach in thin 
strips and chopped some. Chopped and sliced 4 medium white mushrooms 
(store). Diced a 1/4 onion, shredded a carrot fine, shredded a very small amount of fresh horseradish (maybe 1 teaspoon), chopped a little fresh sage, added black pepper and a little sea salt. I mixed 3/4 mayo with 1/4 premade ranch dressing mix well and chill before eating. I loved this one.
 
The third was with an avocado. I mashed a soft avocado and mixed in a tiny bit of brown mustard, pepper, sea salt, a handful of lemon thyme chopped fine, a little diced onion, dried garlic. Then added enough mayo  to make it the consistency I wanted. I liked this one on crackers but didn't care for it on bread.
I washed some fabric this morning, planning to hang it inside but it’s gone outside and almost dry. I bought 2 pieces at a yard sale,a piece of muslin and a yard of black cotton. I also got a lovely long small dress made of sturdy lightweight flannel. I’m hoping to figure out how to copy it and make a pattern for myself and then to use the flannel fabric for other things, maybe a skirt.
I haven’t done much sewing lately, mostly working outside the get the gardens in and mowing down 3 foot grass with an old, rigged push mower. But the grounds are starting to take form 
I’m having a much harder time getting online now. This last week it’s taken an hour or more to make the connection. My modem connects but aol doesn’t pick it up because it’s not a priority. The hour or more is “requesting network attention”. But at least it usually does eventually pick up and some online is better than none. I’ve still been able to read and reply to email and check business dealings each day.


No comments: