Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Monday, July 16, 2012

Days


I'm back on with very, very limited internet. I hope everyone is well, safe and happy!
 
I've taken a second job, weaving hammocks at home. I've not had a regular steady source of income in about 13 years. It's won't be a lot but it's reliable and that's a huge thing.
 
We've had rain this last week and may have more today. Things are greener but there's still plenty of brown. We got soaked at market Saturday, I hope everyone got some.
 
The year's half over, winter is less than 6 months away and could very well come early. We're prepping for an earlier, more severe winter, just in case. Not much in the way of gardens but I'm saving as much seed as possible from everything, the wildlings included. 
 
The things I had planted out by the pond are lost, horsetail, willow ... I'll get more soon and try again. I've also found some cattail down the road that I'll try and transplant here.
 
I'm both wishing I had a horse and thankful i don't at the same time. I want to have time to train it before next year but buying hay to feed it would have been impossible up until now. Our regular hay people aren't getting a second cutting this year and so won't have hay to sell.

My younger sister should be here next weekend and we've not gotten enough done toward that.
 
Things work out as they should.

No comments: