Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Sunday, November 17, 2013

Fall, under a wild moon

What a warm and windy day.  It got up to around 80 deg and the wind kindly blew my laundry dry in no time. Most of the day was spent with the windows open  :)

Life is moving merrily along. Like jovial barefoot dancers, without cares or worries, weaving through the hours and days.

I don’t write much about Nik because that’s the way he prefers it and it is his life. But occasionally I get special permission to post a bit and this is one of those days. Some folk know that his goal in life is Law Enforcement. He’s planning to go further but will start out as a local Peace Officer.

They’ve cut him way back at work but part of his money, when he’s making it again, and after he saves for his own suv or truck, will be go toward the preliminaries for entering the Police Academy.

Aside from career (or maybe adding to it) he’s preparing to learn gun smithing and wants to learn blacksmithing.

I’m working more and making less. The business went down again, first because of lack of baby food jars for salves (I have to decide on new jars and get them ordered) and then because of the spider bite. But I’ll keep at it.

Late October I started making house calls again. First one and then three others. I’m up to five different clients  (afraid to call them patients). Most very local and within horseback distance. Another reason to get a saddle and eventually a good cart.

I’ve also helped two different households shop using their food stamps to buy healthy, from scratch supplies. I did this with one family when we lived at the Burrow and I enjoy doing it. Menus, recipes and directions go with it as well as showing them what they can harvest from their yard and property and how to use them.


We’ve also been finishing up fall cleaning and winter preparations. Here’s my list ….

Fall Cleaning & Winter Prep

Cottage

Clean and check all windows
Clean and check all doors
Caulk and seal as needed
Clean all fans
Clean and unplug A/C, cover or store
Clean around wood stove and prepare for firewood
Clean & dust everything and every surface
Clean and air both sides of mattresses – outside if possible
Clean and air all un-washable cushions and pillows
Wash all curtains, pillows, cushions, rugs etc
Clean, Beat and air all un-washable rugs
Organize & clear clutter
Rearrange if needed
Unpack winter trunks and check and air coats, gloves etc.
Take blankets from trunks and hang out on a windy day to freshen

Barn & Shop

Clean and check all doors and windows
Caulk and seal as needed
Sterilize all food and water bowls and troughs
Clean all pens and repair etc as needed
Check all animal housing and repair/insulate as needed

Grounds

Check and mulch as needed
Prepare garden bed for winter

Blazer

Check all fluids
Check wipers
Double check antifreeze content
Check weather stripping on doors and windows.
Check tires
Add sand bags
Add winter blazer box (blankets, extra gloves etc)

………………………….

And now for Evening Tea  ~ Rustic Lemon Scones and Dark Lavender Tea outside under the lovely full moon. We might get lucky and see a meteor  :)




2 comments:

Sarah said...

I think it's amazing the way you are going out and helping your community, It can be hard to be healthy on a low income but you're right it is possible with a little know how :D Good luck with your winter prep!

Free said...

I'm so glad to have found your blog again! I've followed your blogs for years, then earlier this year, for whatever reason, i lost it. I'm so glad things are going smoothly for y'all. Be well ~ kristi