Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Friday, June 27, 2014

What's for Supper? 6.27.14

I just got in from gathering things for supper. Tonight is a meat meal and I'm making ...
Roasted herbed chicken with sage, lemon thyme and onion
Steamed rice with garlic, onion and magenta and silver lamb quarters tossed in to steam lightly, after the heat is turned off
Salad made of red and green romaine, arugula, grape leaves, dock, violet leaves, red and white clover leaves, dandelion      leaves, daylily petals, queen anns leaves, wild onion and sorrel. 
Commercial ranch dressing
Cornflour flatbread
Iced bergamot tea with rose petals, red clover blossom, raspberry leaves and a little spearmint

Evening tea (our dessert time) fresh raspberry & gooseberry shortcake
Simple black tea with honey and goat's milk

I usually gather everything in the same basket or pot then go through and sort. 
1 - sage and lemon thyme for the chicken
2 - bergamot, rose petals, red clover blossoms and raspberry leaves for the tea
3 - raspberries and gooseberries with a few leaves and petals still in
4 is the salad mix minus the romaines
5 is lambs quarters for the rice
6 sprigs of spearmint for tea



Aside from the ranch, sugar, rice, flour, cornmeal, some spices and black tea, everything came from our land or locally grown. The honey and eggs are local  (I traded all our laying hens for firewood last year and our new hens aren't old enough yet). But most of the ingredients came from our land and most are wild. If you live in the Ozarks you likely have access to most of these things and much more. We eat this way all the time and have since my son was very little, so it's not a big deal for us and still it amazes me and makes me smile at each meal.

What did you harvest to eat today?

No comments: