Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Aug. 18th to 22nd



Aug. 18 Tuesday

Chilly this morning and absolutely stunning. We have mist almost every night and early morning. In the morning, when I look across the clearing, to the edge of the upper forest, it looks like gossamer decorating Her cathedral. Another gift on the huge list of blessings.

Something has gotten into my studio/workshop and is really creeping me out. I can’t find it but it’s left foul evidence on the floor and on my work table. I’ve started work on moving my studio back into the back porch which has halted some of my work.

This evening I’m reading about spinning wool by hand (without a spinning wheel)

The day’s harvest –
Vervain
3 chicken eggs
Grass seed heads

-Breakfast- granola and water
-Lunch- ham on oat bread wth commercial mustard and veg sticks. La Croix
-Supper- vegetarian chicken patty on oat bread with homemade olive oil mayo and fresh tomato, oven fries with rosemary, pepper and sea salt. La Croix
-Evening Tea-  granola and a glass of raw milk

……………………

August 19, Wednesday

Rain and storms and we needed them. I love the rain and thunder rolling across the hills. It was also a bit chilly and the damp seeped in and made me want to hibernate  :)

I got some writing done, worked on my Memoirs and another book. Then sewed most of the rest of the day.  In the evening I did some more reading on wool, carding, spinning etc.. I plan on making candles in the next few days and got some wick soaking.

The day’s harvest –
5 chicken eggs
1 very tiny duck egg
A few Juniper v. berries
Vervain
Salad greens – dock, lamb quarters, sorrel, dandelion, wild lettuce, clover

-Breakfast- oatmeal with honey and cinnamon. Hot Irish breakfast tea.
-Lunch-  ham sandwich on oat bread. Raspberry tea.
-Supper- soft tacos with beef, black beans, rice, cheese, garden onions, peppers, tomatoes on homemade tortillas. Raspberry tea
-Evening Tea- natural peanut butter and local honey on the last of the oat bread. Hot chamomile.

………………………………………

August 20, Thursday

A bright and chilly morning!  I grabbed a shawl as soon as I got up and put the kettle on for some hot tea.

Pepper’s birthday is tomorrow, that’s been so much on my mind. She loved her birthday and loved telling people her birthday was coming up. She’s at peace and things are as they should be but my heart is missing another piece and my soul feels thinner and more worn.

Finished shearing the sheep. Bartered for and picked up a new cast iron manual pitcher spout water pump for the cistern. Got a load of hay (Nik did most of the work). Worked on running the solar shower into the house. Got some things out of my studio. Still can’t figure out what’s in there. There was a third big splat of something on the floor and in the same area. It came from the rafters above but there’s nothing there.

 Pump for the cistern


Sweet Sage. He's so laid back, calm, gentle, patient and wise.


The day’s harvest –
3 hen eggs
Poke berries
Grass heads for seeds
Unidentified flowers for the vase
2 bags of wonderful, raw Shetland wool

-Breakfast- commercial apple bars and dry cereal. Hot Irish breakfast tea with organic cow milk and local honey
-Lunch- ham sandwich, commercial potato chips. Cold Black pekoe
-Supper-
-Evening Tea-

…………….

Aug. 21, Friday

Happy Birthday Pepper, I love you

Cool and overcast, a fine Irish day. One of my favorite kinds :)

We’ve been having trouble with aol again and  can’t get online very often.

I’m keeping the goats in the pens for now because the big ones are near birthing time and this is about the same time last year that I saw the big beautiful Bobcat. Plus we have plentiful Song Dogs, who generally don’t bother anyone but might be drawn to. and Nemo has to be up during the day because of his car chasing.  I’m hoping to have a larger area permanently fenced in before winter. Right now the goats and sheep freerange or get tied out in places, which I’ll still do for mowing purposes, but they need a safer area that Nemo can watch over. The big does go into the horse pen but the NDs, Sage and babies can get right out. Even the big does can get out of there.

Did laundry but it didn’t get dry enough outside so it’s back inside to dry. Cleaning wood today, furniture, window frames etc. I’m all natural for most of my cleaning but I still use Murphy’s for wood. It’s 98% natural, I think. And I like the scent. I learned from my friend Barbara P to add a few drops of lavender. I add lavender oil to all sorts of things for cleaning and more, but hadn’t thought of adding it to the Murphys.



We had our first turkey poult hatch out today and a second is on it’s way!  I’m not sure what Bourbon Reds look like as poults. I’ve gotten a brooder ready  :)


The day’s harvest –
5 hen eggs
Poke Berries

-Breakfast-  hot tea with organic cow’s milk and local honey
-Lunch- leftover taco meat, black beans and rice in a bowl with clover and magenta lambs quarters. Water.
-Supper-  vegetarian chicken patty with mushrooms and carrots. La Croix
-Evening Tea-  apple crumble with last fall’s apples from the freezer. Hot tea

………………………….

Aug. 22, Saturday

I woke with a headache and not feeling well. I think it’s a sinus thing. Aspirin for breakfast  *~*

It was supposed to storm all day but nary a drop has fallen since I woke.

Got some sewing done. I’m working on making some gathering aprons. Also finished taking in some skirts and a cotton slip with eyelet trim made from a bed skirt ( Thank you for the idea, Barbara!!!!).  Of the gathering aprons, I’ll be making both half and full.

Created a new chick brooder, which seems to be working much better. It’s a metal cage which I wrapped in plastic, covered the top with foil, except for the space for the heat lamp and added an old blanket on top, far away from the lamp but will help hold the heat on the cool side. The poults are doing well, staying under the light but not huddling.

The day’s harvest –
3 hen eggs


-Breakfast- Cooked apples with cinnamon and honey. Hot tea with milk
-Lunch-  tea
-Supper- leftover piece of chicken and tea
-Evening Tea- 
.......................................

1 comment:

Hidden Haven Homestead said...

Feel like I have sat down to tea and listened to you share your days with me in person. Love your posts. Could you tell me what you do with poke berries? I have lots here and use the leaves for salad and cooked greens.