Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Monday, October 12, 2015

10.4.15 – 10.12.15


It’s been beautiful, cool and bright and filled with an anxious, but positive, energy.


There is worry, there always is for me this time of year. I think it comes from deep inside, from memories of past winters 100s of years ago. And from this life also, from hard things happening this time of year. But, all I can do is my best to prevent and prepare, the rest is beyond me and I will let it go and deal with it as I must.

I’m working on getting down to the bare minimum of smallstock and outside work for winter. The barn is filled with hay. Working toward filling all the feed bins. The larder is stocked and still being added to. We’re very low on wood but that should be coming in the next few weeks. Will be putting in the cistern pump very soon. Working hard to find an electric water heater. We’re working on filling the freezer with meat.…  As is, aside from the need for firewood, we would survive the winter. That’s a good and powerful thing but my goal is always to thrive.

And going through the pantry, taking note of what we need more of, making sure things get rotated etc.. I had planned to empty the pantry, paint, build more shelves …. But haven’t gotten to it. Maybe next year!


Pantry

Still dehydrating pumpkin and squash. Some will keep fresh for months of eating but I want to be sure we have some for deeper into winter  :)  Drying apples, pear and peppers too. What bounty! I’m going to try drying some spiced raw pumpkin and see how it tastes as pumpkin chips.

Since getting my studio moved back to the enclosed back porch I’m able to work but also to work more often because it’s right there. I moved it from there to the stone house to have more room but, while it’s smaller space, it’s better light, easier to heat in winter and so much more accessible. I’ve finished two of the Spirit Dolls I was working one before and have started 3 other projects  :)     I also changed the Juju Dolls name again. I had changed to Totem dolls but that didn’t feel right to me at all. They’ve always felt like Spirit Dolls and so that’s what they are.


 ElderMa - Sold







Bodhi - sold


Squirrel Watcher

I took a wonderful little walk about along the Bryant one Sunday. I went alone and relished in being away from home but also being at home. I did wish for a canine companion, I miss Star so much, but I had a glorious time just the same. I didn’t have a lot of time and I stopped to examine and enjoy too often so I didn’t make it as far as planned before I had to head back.


Along the Bryant

I’ve also been getting more blankets, flannel sheets, jackets and warm clothing out of the trunks and hanging to freshen or washing the ones that smell too strongly of cedar.

Working on cleaning out the storage part of the barn and in the cottage. It’s much too easy to accumulate more than you need. I’m selling a few things but mainly giving things to the charities and on the new Ozarks Free Exchange groups.

-Harvest  –
Eggs
Milk
Rosehips
Seed pods
Grass seed
Quenn Ann seeds
Polk berries

-Barter –
Apples
Pears
Little spice chest
Candles
New Zealand buck rabbit (named Zeus)

-Gifts –
2 wonderful quilts (given to me about a year ago but felt like new gifts when I took them out of the trunk)

-Meals-
*Grilled cheese with smoked swiss/cheddar on farmhouse bread, a little bowl of non gmo sweet corn with butter and sea salt.
*Chicken & Rice- leftover brown rice with pieces of leftover chicken, bell peppers, onion and mushrooms.
*Baked cheesy penne. Cooked organic penne with my homemade all-purpose sauce, extra garlic and oregano from the gardens, topped with shredded cheddar and mozzarella. Baked until cheese bubbles. Served with wild salad and a slice of fresh potato bread.
*Rice wraps – leftover chicken and rice on homemade tortillas with dandelion leaves and yogurt ranch dressing.
*3 Sisters Chili – ground venison (with a little beef fat), non gmo corn, squash and black beans with herbs, spices, peppers, onions, tomatoes. Slow cooked, served with rustic flat bread and topped with a dollop of homemade sour cream.
*Chicken and dumplings – leftover chicken, fresh homemade broth, homemade biscuit dough dropped in by small spoonfuls, a little butter, garlic, onion, black pepper.

-Snacks-
*peanut butter granola
*non gmo corn chips and homemade salsa
*Homemade yogurt
*commercial graham crackers

-Desserts-
*Apples and homemade caramel sauce
*pumpkin bread
*peanut butter and chocolate chip oatmeal cookies
*Pear bake – pears with cinnamon topped with a sweet biscuit dough and baked until golden. A giant spoonful in a bowl with a splash of fresh milk.
*Milkshakes made with homemade goat milk chocolate ice cream
*Grilled pears and cranberries on homemade goat milk ice cream

-Sunday Dinners-
*Crockpot chicken (oregano, onion, peppers) with brown rice and peppered peas (with butter and freshly cracked white pepper). The chicken cooked in the crockpot while I was on a walk about at the Bryant. I precooked the carrots the day before and finished cooking when I got home.
*Kielbasa kabobs with squash, cranberries, onions and peppers. Herbed butter pasta and commercial wheat rolls.

-Drinks-
*cold black pekoe with real lemon and honey
* ice cold goat milk
*fresh apple juice
* cold well water
*hot tea with creamer




wonderful little spice chest

No comments: