Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

1.11.08

Today has been a beautiful, slightly chilly, sunny, quiet day :)

I worked on the chicken pen a bit, getting it ready for chicks in the Spring. Hen will be so happy to have some sisters again and we'll be so happy to have more eggs again. I'm dividing the pen in half so that it can be closed off when we have males, which we'll either give away (what we usually do) or turned into meat (((((((poor things)))))).

We also went foraging for juju things and kindling and whatever else we happen upon, and found the most wonderful branch down. It's very twiggy and looks ancient, I believe it's hickory. Almost all of it is juju doll stuff, when I look at it I can see all the little jujus looking back :) and a little of it will go into the cook out pile.

I also found some wonderful little dried up lichen bits and some more grapevine.

A new sick cat showed up here over a week ago, I named her Day. Very frail and bony, haws up, skin parts very pale, moved slowly but with purpose. I always worry that a new cat will bring something that will wipe out the whole feral colony. In the greater scope of things that might not seem so bad but they're not the greater scope, they're intelligent individuals with souls and a will to live.

I treated Day as well as I could, she seemed wild and like a feral already. I fully expected to be making her last days as comfortable and safe as possible tho I did try to treat her for a few ailments i felt like it could be.

I hadn't seen her for over a day and figured she had found a soft place in the warm sun to lay down and release her body. It's not unusual here to come upon the empty shell body of one of the ferals on occasion. If the spirit has completely gone it doesn't bother me to much but if the spirit is still clinging to shell it hurts my heart greatly.

but today she showed up again looking and acting much better ! They are amazing creatures with a most excellent will to live.

No comments: