Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Buffalo Dream

...........................................................
I was asleep, warm and comfortable in my bed.
I felt myself begin to wake but then I began to dream....
I saw water and the water was covered in a thick veil of mist.
I felt alone and cold but not afraid.
Something began to rise out of the water and I felt excitement, anticipation, something greater still that I have no words for.

As it rose, the mist seemed to pull away from where it was and I could see that it had great horns.
I was transfixed, a statue, in awe of what I was seeing.
Soon it's head had completely risen from the water and I saw that it was a buffalo. I reached out my hand to touch her soft fur but I could not reach.
I looked into her gentle brown eyes and realized that I knew her. I remembered her and she remembered me. At that moment I knew her but, it did not stay in my head and I do not have it now.
Then she began to rise fully out of the water and I saw that she had a human body. I felt surprised and looked back to her face to ask her why. But her face had changed and I was looking into green eyes now.
They were my own eyes, my face, I was looking at myself.
I began to cry and then darkness covered me and I felt safe and warm and I returned to sleep.
When I woke some time later, my eyes burned and my pillow was damp.

No comments: