Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

5.20.08

I never have finished the tilling, it hurts to much to put a shoe on but maybe today :)

Yesterday i did get quite a bit of gardening done. Got marigolds planted for the tomatoes and the peas finally in. The thyme from seed is coming up nicely but the rosemary from seed isn't.

I've had trouble with rosemary ever since we moved here. I brought all my plants with me here and the rosemary was about 5 years old, big and healthy. It died the first year. as have two more over the years. I have one now that I got this year and it was doing poorly so I moved it to a half shade area and it does seem to be doing better. I've grown rosemary for years and they've always done best in full sun but not anymore.

Todays plans are ... to get some inside work done, finish a dandelion puff painting, harvest some more sage, dandelion root, yarrow, mullein and wild onions. maybe till, some garden weeding and clean the chick pen.

The chicks are just about big enough so that we can open chickside to henside and they can have a much larger area to live in till they can free range. The hen pen is divided in half so we can close off one side for chicklets and then open the whole thing for everyone. I hadn't planned on the ducks tho which are getting quite large so we may have to add on to the hen pen sooner then planned.

I was going to be doing that anyway in case we wanted to have some turned into meat. You have to have at least 25 for the packing house and we usually give all the cockerals away but would keep them for meat and need to keep them from the hens.

Plus we still have to enlarge the henhouse to hold more poultry people.

Yesterday was very beautiful and breezy, I hope today will be as well :)

Merry day everyone!

No comments: