Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

4.10.08

We're having tons more rain, I'm so thankful to live up like we do. A few days ago we went down the hollow to our secret blackberry patch and the whole thing is flooded out. We could only go 3/4 of the way down and the hollow is actually a bit farther then where the berries are.

I had a dream the night before that we were somewhere else in a two story house and floods filled the house past the second floor. When the water receded I was panicked to find all the wild cats had followed me there and were drowning in the left over waters. I saved them all but one, Jojo, and never found her in the dream.

We haven't gotten to much done in the garden because of the rain. So far we only have spinach and several lettuces going. We also had to stop moving the medicinals and I'm making major jujus for the ones we already moved. The rains are good for them but to much in loose soil can be bad.

When tilling the new garden patch I found a very nice clay spot and have taken a bit to make some little Booby Goddesses and use in some medicinals.

No chicks yet here. The hen pen is all done and the chick area is done but for the gate. The gate is built and wired but I need to add chicken wire so the chicklets don't become cat candy. Hen is laying again, I wondered if she ever would. she went about a year with no eggs at all and now she's laying an egg a day again :)

I need to get back to work now.

No comments: