Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Saturday, May 24, 2008

5.24.08

I was watching PBS and found a wonderful sounding recipe for veggie burgers. http://www.pbs.org/everydayfood/recipes/veggie_burger_tahini.html I have one that's OK but they fall apart to easily. This one has eggs which I'm sure will help keep them together.

I've decided to harvest off the spinach early and use the space for potatoes. I got some good ideas on making potato towers but can't do them this year. We need potatoes more then spinach for sure and I can plant some more spinach along one or both sides of the bush beans.

I've had trouble with corn this year. I always plant 3 rows about a week apart but this year none of the 2nd or 3rd row came up so I planted them again. Only the 2nd row has come up so I'll have to plant the 3rd a 3rd time.

I have a bunch of seed packs saved, some dating back to 1993 and every year I add new packs and test some of the old. This year I tested some thyme and sunflowers seeds from 1997 and over half are coming up. Of the sunflowers I planted 7 seeds and 3 have sprouted. Of the Thyme I planted 2 - 15 inch rows and about half of each row has sprouted.

These are just store packs of seeds, some cost .5 cents, some walmart seeds. Every year I try some old seeds and so far they've always done pretty well. when I started saving them I was told that they would be no good after just a year or two. But we've eaten veggies grown from seeds over 10 years old.

No comments: