Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

6.19.08

It's a very lovely and cool morning. We were hoping to stay up long enough to see the moon thing but we were to tired and missed it. I hope it was amazing.

I remember a time, lifetimes ago, when the moon looked like that each night. But that's a tale for another time :)

Yesterday I got a lot of weeding done and the screen for the big window re-screened.

I don't talk much about what Nik does around here but he does plenty. He took the screen off the window then reinstalled it when it was done, he helped hold the screen in place while I put it on the frame, he hauled buckets of weeds and grasses to the chicken pen for me and more ............. he's a great help and such a wonderful person.

I got an email saying that AOL is raising it prices next month. From 9.99 to 11.99 per month. Then we had an email this morning saying Netflix is doing away with everyone's queues and each account will only have one so we can no longer sort our movies. Nik thinks it's so we would have to buy extra queues and he's most likely right.


I was searching ideas on greenhouse construction and layouts and came across this link http://h2othouse.com/index1.html if you go down a ways there are a bunch of very helpful links to greenhouse things.



I also saw this greenhouse which reminds me of the Victorian conservatories on the grounds of great houses with labyrinth gardens and vast fields of green meadows. It's just a beautiful thing.



I'm working on my greenhouse plans, and it's coming right along. I'm not sure if I can actually do it but I'm generally able to get done anything I put my mind to. So far it will be 15x15 feet outside, at least one door facing southeast and the roof slant (if I can manage it) will face southwest.

If I can get it done I would like it to have a few uses ... greenhouse, potting shed, private retreat and maybe juju doll studio. I thought about trying to divide it and be able to use half for drying but that's to ambitious and I hope to fill up the entire greenhouse with live plants.


I also watched Howard's End yesterday. I'm surprised I had never seen it before. I think I remember that it won several awards and altho it was fine, I would not personally give it any awards at all. For one thing, Howard's End itself was barely even in the movie. Which is a shame because it was lovely and I could easily see falling in love with it.


Well, the birds outside are singing about how wonderful today will be so I should be getting to it :)

1 comment:

Peggy said...

I see you have been busy as usual! Your greenhouse sounds like it will be perfect! Have a great weekend