Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Friday, June 20, 2008

6.20.08

On the eve of Summer.

What a wonderful rainy, slightly chilly, morning. The perfect day for reading and drinking hot teas.

It stormed thru the night and there may be more today. There were a few great thunderbangs very close in the early morning. And yesterday I know that Springfield had some severe damage and some blessed trees down. The world is changing so quickly.

I remember once reading someones description of the changes saying that they would be like a train, starting so slowly that people wouldn't even realize at first, but then picking up speed and going so fast as to carry us into a new age before we were fully aware of what had happened. Not in those exact words but close. And his description was right as far as I can see.

Yesterday we gave most of the porch kittens baths and they'll be getting wormed over the weekend and hopefully all find new homes soon. The mothers will be more difficult because I can't have them spayed right away and chances are they will go into heat before I can or find them homes. Please, please, please, have your cats spayed and neutered and please don't dump them.

I think I broke our vacuum cleaner the other day. I sucked up a tissue and it stopped working. I have a lot going on right now financially and can't afford to buy another with paying off the truck and the windshield and getting it legal and insurance. And, with a German Shepherd girl, we have tons of hair *o* We're going to work on it today and hopefully figure it out. My Sister is coming tomorrow and I would rather her see the creepy carpet then a fine dog hair rug.

Speaking of her visit :) I'm going to be making little scones today and some spice tea and maybe some sweet cream for the scones. I wish the secret blackberries were ripe but they're not ready at all.

I also have the floors to clean, I usually clean them on Wednesdays but didn't.

And I have no idea what we'll have for Dinner today, I had meant to soak some beans last night but forgot. I can still do the quick soak but they're not as good that way. I probably will tho and so we can have burritos as planned.

The garden is looking wonderful !! Corn is starting to show corn things, bush beans getting huge, tomatoes knocking over their cages, potatoes nice and green, fresh peppers every day now.

The other day we were talking about eating from our gardens and this is how I feel ....

I'm amazed every single day and with every new thing I pick or eat or see. I grew up with my Grandfather's huge gardens but the awe has never left me. With the tiniest bit of birch bark or even a single berry, I feel like I'm a part of some great miracle, some powerful magic, and I'm filled with the giddy excitement of it, each and every time.

Many other people wrote and they're feelings were the same, it made my heart glad to hear it and share it.

So now I'm off to drink a cup of something warm and read or relax playing a computer game and listen to the rain and be glad I am alive.

Blessed day everyone :)

No comments: