Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Saturday, June 21, 2008

6.21.08 Solstice Morning

Merry Solstice !!

What a beautiful morning :) We have a few things to do before my Sister comes today and I'm excited to see her. It's been a few years, tho we talk online fairly often.

Yesterday I spent some time looking into keeping rabbits. I've had rabbits before but I was researching hutches made to save the rabbit poo and ways to let the rabbits out to roam and still be safe in the country. I'm surprised I hadn't thought of it but one way is to let them run around the chicken pen each day.

I got many wonderful ideas from a sight I came across recently, http://homegrownrevolution.com/ There's so much information to be found there ! They're doing an amazing job !!

I've also been researching Nubian goats for milk. They would be so much easier to care for then a Dexter and take up less room and feed. I'm going to try and get some local goats milk and see if Nik and I can get used to drinking it. I've considered a goat many times over the years but most recently Peggy suggested one and got me thinking about them again :)

I'm also wanting to find out what kind of goats are the small ones who love poison ivy, we have a tons of it. Any animal we get for milk will need a companion and a poison ivy eating goat would do just fine :)

I hope everyone has a wonderfully blessed Solstice !

Namaste :)

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Most all goats will eat the poison ivy but the norwegian dwarfs love it! You should come for a visit and go back home with a nubian and a dwarf!