Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

10.08.08 A Chilly Start

There's a fine line between being pleasantly chilly and to cold to get up and run to the bathroom. I was right on that line this morning *o* The thermometer on the porch said it was just under 40 deg at 6am. First thing I did on waking was shiver thru the house shutting the windows, then shiver to the bathroom, then shiver to tell Nik to get up, then shiver into some sweat pants and something with sleeves.

Today's forecast is sunny with a high of 70. Sounds like a very fine day to me :)

Usually, after I write and post here, I drink a second cup and visit friends but yesterday I wasn't able to post on any other blog. I do often have trouble with a few but usually can get things posted if I keep trying. I think it's my older slower modem and sometimes AOL is a little funky, we've been having a lot of trouble with it lately. I'm thankful for both tho and I'll try again today.

Yesterday I didn't get to much done. I had to go back and add milk to the apple bake recipe *o* When I was making it here I got the feeling I had forgotten something and thankfully went to check.

Today the plan basically the same as yesterday. More henhouse, more wood stacking, more garden work. Getting ready for Winter is always a bit exciting to me. And then when Winter comes and we're mostly ready, it feels very good.

I used to think that, having been homeless sometimes, gone hungry a bit and been abused some as a child, was why I see things the way I do now. But I find that, that's not true at all. There are many people who grew up like I did and don't see things the way I do and many people who grew up nothing like me and see things very much like I do.

Now, I have come to the firm conclusion that it's simply choice. We choose to see things one way or another. Tho I think most people have no idea that they have a choice in the matter. Let alone that they are actually choosing.

Anyway, may this day be the absolute best it can be for each of us :)

3 comments:

Phill said...

Oh Julie - Our life experiences are so very similar! Have a lovely day - In the 40s this morning here too ... but that's just how I like it! =)

Joan@CopperCreeker said...

It's very cool and windy here today. Sun is popping out every now and then.
(((Juli)))

oldcrow61 said...

I know what it's like to get up in the cold. lol. Having to bundle up and get the fire started. We are also getting prepared for winter and it is a good feeling when it's all done. I agree with you about choices. They are put in front of us and we choose the road we want to take.