Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

11.08.08

I woke just fine except that my eyes feel like they've had no rest at all. Like I spent the night reading every book we have without my reading glasses on. I don't recall last nights dreams so maybe I did :)

I think it's about 35 deg. outside. Probably around 60 inside, maybe a little cooler. I did grab a sweater before anything else :)

The low tonight is supposed to be in the upper 20's so we'll probably need a fire by tomorrow morning and maybe this evening.

I spent the morning writing an article for the Herb Blog on natural flea control, for Dana and anyone else :) And I'll start adding more for The Natural Pet.

Biscuits with hamburger gravy for breakfast. Beanie weenies, oven fries and corn bread for lunch. Pancakes for supper. Baked apples with raisins for dessert.

I've been trying to find my grandmother. Her son put her in a home somewhere north of Springfield a few years ago and I really need to find her and go see her. I need to tell her I forgive her and I would like for Nik to visit with her a bit. This may very well be the last time and it's important to me that she knows.

I think the most important forgiveness, aside from that which is greater then we, comes from self. I think forgiving ourselves is the patch and the forgiveness of others is the thread that sews it on. with or without the thread, the patch is what matters most.

I don't know if my grandmother has forgiven herself, a person would have to see they've done a wrong before being able to forgive that wrong. But I want to be sure she has the thread for when she's able to find her own patch.

I think that truly forgiving someone makes us stronger and healthier and more in our own balance.

Anyway.

Today will be a bit busy, working on the henhouse, bringing more wood to the porch, the last bit on the main part of the garden.

I got a prybar yesterday so we'll try again today to get that bloody board off. I have high hopes for it :) It's not the poor boards fault really and it's actually a good thing that it's holding so well. I just should have made sure everything was straighter before putting it on.

So, hopefully, we'll be able to get the board off, get the house straightened and get another board put back on to hold it straight. The board that's on now broke when I tried to knock it off with a big hammer but I need one a bit smaller to frame the door and haven't cut any down yet so that one will work just fine and still have a home in the henhouse.

My beloved friend Peggy and her husband William have offered for him to stop in and help pry it off but. They're such good people :) But I have high hopes for the prybar !

That and wood to the porch are the main jobs of the day but I'm also hoping to get the last of the garden done as well. It didn't get finished all the way yesterday because I had marked the end off in the wrong place. If there's time this year before the ground stays frozen I would like to till up more yard to add to the garden size. I will next spring anyway but if we can do it this fall and it can sleep a few months under a pile of leaves it will be all the more usable next year.

I really hope the prybar works well. It's a pretty small one but it looks nice and sturdy. We also need the it to pry the old henhouse out of the ground from where it's settled so much, so we can move it for the cats later.

I hope we get a lot done today and that's everyones day is most excellent :)

2 comments:

Dana said...

I love what you say about forgiveness, it took me many years to forgive myself for some things from my past. I felt so much lighter once I did.

oldcrow61 said...

Thanks for the info about flea control and the recipes. Always good to know this stuff. Hope you manage to find your grandmother. I too believe that forgiveness makes us stronger and healthier.