Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Art of Simple Living 11.22.08

Does a wealthy man appreciate the sunset more than a poor one because he can view it from anywhere in the world ?

Does a poor man appreciate a good meal more then a wealthy one because he gets them much less often ?

No. Appreciation comes from the soul and wealthy or poor, everyone has one. If a person appreciates something it means simply that they're grateful, and we all have the ability to be grateful.

Using our ability to be grateful, our gift, we can choose to enjoy, or at least find something to enjoy, everyday. Something I'm very grateful for is that I enjoy living simply and frugally.

Now my frugal and someone else's may be very different. And while there's nothing wrong with anyone's version of being frugal (as long as they harm none) my version isn't about being miserly or doing without or eating canned cat food just top save some money.

For me being frugal is about enjoying what I have, making do because I choose to, living a little simpler than many folks because in this life I find balance and peace within myself and the world around me. I live simply but also richly. I want for very little and feel like a queen most of the time (No Nik, not a cootie queen *~*).

I also think that living simply has to come with rich indulgence and I actually live quite an extravagant life. I often eat chocolate for breakfast, I daydream whenever I want, we feast often and have furred jesters at our beckon call. I get to spend every day with my son while he's growing and there is no treasure greater to me.

Find your indulgence and create your own extravagant and frugally simple life :)



Stretching food

Fruit

Sometimes we come across a windfall of apples or pears, cherries or grapes, bananas or berries

What I do when I find a fair bunch of whatever is separate them into 4 groups. Fruit should be good and ripe for any of the uses.

Some for drying, the very best ones.
Some for eating fresh and raw, the medium good ones.
Some for freezing, canning, jams or sauce, also the medium good ones.
Some to be used cooked right away, the least good ones.

When I'm ready, If any need to be used right away I do that first. Banana breads and the like freeze very well, if you have the room. Then I start the ones to be dried, they take a long time so I try and get them started right away. And then freezing and/or canning.

I also usually keep some out with the ones to eat raw to make quick little desserts or snacks. A baked pear or apple is a most excellent thing.

I have an old Ronco Dehydrator that I bought at a flea market for 5.00 about 15 years ago. I hang dry all my herbs because I think they lose a bit in the dehydrator but a dehydrator is a wonderful thing to have. Properly dried foods take up less space and last longer then other methods.

~*~

These are just my thoughts. There's no right or wrong as long as no one, including yourself, is harmed. We each must find our own right path and live it as honorably and to the fullest as possible. Our hearts know the truth of it.

Namaste everyone :)

2 comments:

clown princess said...

I love your post as we think a lot alike. I believe simple frugal living is an art and you have defined it well.

Unknown said...

beautiful words. just judging from the daily menus you post i can tell how abundant you and your son are...while living frugally and in balance.

i have a great admiration for your lifestyle (as i've been able to understand it from reading your blog.) thanks for sharing all your wonderfulness. :-D