Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Herbed Turkey

Herbed turkey - make an herb rub with whatever herbs you like, I usually use cracked pepper, thyme, sage and rosemary. I make about 1/2 a cup of rub.

Divide that in half and mix 1/4 cup rub with 1 stick of softened butter. When the butter is ready you cut just under the skin, not into the meat, and use your hand to spread half the butter mixture on each side of the turkey. Make sure to loosen the skin all over so that the mixture can melt down all over.

With the other 1/4 cup of rub, rub it all over the outside of the turkey. If you use a little oil to brown and crisp the skin then just add the rub to the oil. I always use my hands and rub it in very well.

Roast as desired or directed.

No comments: