Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Saturday, April 4, 2009

4.4.09

Today has been beautiful ! and very windy :) It started off cool but has gotten up to 70 deg. It's supposed to be much cooler tho the next few days with lows in the 20's *~*
Juniper is doing wonderfully :) I think she really likes her new hutch and we have a ramp to set up for her to come out on her own. She didn't come out today but she did come a little ways down the ramp. Soon she'll know it's safe and come out each day. I didn't force her at all and won't. She'll come out when she more used to using the ramp.

She did nip at my hand today tho her teeth never closed. I had a heavy glove on and reached further in than normal, she didn't want her private area invaded :)

We worked more on the goat house and found a place in the floor that needs to be repaired. And we made a little mini hoop greenhouse for the peppers made of fencing and plastic.

The other day I learned how to make garden cloches/French bell jars from old glass cider and wine jugs. I have no jugs that size but I have asked on freecycle and around. I'm going to make several for plants and foods. You just cut the bottom from the glass jugs and sand down the sharp parts. You can even use the bottoms as glass bowls.

I learned what a dimmi john is ( a large beautiful glass jug for wine and other things) and chatelaine ( an ornate key holder worn on the belt) and I drooled over several 1870's kitchens.

I also submitted 5 paintings to a gallery in Oregon, it's a juried gallery so I'm waiting to hear if any are accepted. there's also an art show there in June or July I'm going to try for.

In preparing for the goat girls, I've learned how to milk a goat, make simple goat butter and 2 kinds of goat milk cheese :) The butter and cheeses are much simpler than I expected. I have actually made butter before, cow butter at my grandparents, we used to make it often. And I've milked cows but not in years and it is a bit different than milking goats.

Last night I dreamed that people tried to get into the chicken pen and other pens. I dreamt it over and over again, 5 or 6 times. It was no more then just a person or person trying to get into the pens. They never did in the dreams but i always knew they meant some harm. I loath locking stuff up like that but it was a very disturbing dream. Today we put a lock on the chicken pen *~*

The numbers have increased a lot. Today alone it was 1:11 when I went to bed, when I checked email this morning there were 222 emails, it was 11:11 when I came in from noon chores and there were 222 emails again even tho I have read and deleted over 100 earlier, then when I came in from putting up the chickens and getting down the laundry there were 222 emails again.

I know that people can become subconsciously drawn to do things or see things, like looking at the clock at exactly 11:11 each day. But 222 emails 3 times in one day doesn't seem like something a person could subconsciously control. Who knows tho, I may have more abilities than I realize *o*

And now I'm off to drink a glass of peach wine and watch some masterpiece theater :)

4 comments:

Jj Starwalker said...

Are you aware that goat milk is "naturally homogenized" to a larger degree than cow milk and it is difficult to get it to separate out a reasonable amount of cream for making butter, etc. just by letting it stand?

When we had goats, we were lucky to find a hand-powered cream separator -- but it was a HUGE complex thing with many parts. Huge 'cause it was made for the larger volume of milk you get from a cow. The complex part was just how it had to be made, many internal parts and it all had to be taken apart, cleaned well, totally dried and reassembled any time we used it.

I am not sure I would do it again even if I had the chance to get one (separator) at a price I could afford... it was that much trouble.

MyMaracas said...

I love reading about your goats and chickens, and now the new rabbit. I have yet to convince my family that animals would be a great addition out here, but I'm still working on it.

I think you were wise to act on your dream, especially as it kept recurring. I'm always sorry when I don't listen to dreams or to that little nagging feeling that comes to warn me now and then.

I don't have numbers following me around, but subjects and ideas often do.

Good luck getting into the gallery!

oldcrow61 said...

Happy to hear that Juniper is doing well. Good luck with the Gallery.

Unknown said...

that's so interesting about the 222! yeah, i think we do have certain abilities that we either don't realize or take for granted. i can't tell you how many times i've "made" a traffic light turn red or green just by knowing on a subconscious level that it'd be either of those colors by the time i got to it, ha! something about the whole "power of attraction" thing, i guess.

but unless you were thinking--consciously or subconsciously--that there'd be 222 email each of the times you checked, then this is all the more intriguing.