Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Sunday, August 2, 2009

8.1.9


Sometimes, when the moon is just so and the night lies gently across hill and hollow, I feel an anticipation of things to come. As if more than the sun will rise come morning. Not a prophecy come to pass or anything so grand. More like a small destined happening that might otherwise go unnoticed as just another breath in universe. Go unnoticed if not for that little feeling that stirs on night such as these. And I do wonder what will rise with the sun come morning.

We've had a great many happenings around the Burrow lately :)

We've set up for two weeks now at the Ozark Farmers Market. The first week we had no sales at all and often avoided and skipped over as people made their market rounds. We also had many "Herbs, hmmm". But the second week was very different, we hade several very good sales and many people stopped to look, take flyers and even ask questions. I look forward to next week now. We did well enough that if it continues I may close the etsy shop each summer and just sell at market.

I was going to take a picture or two of our little table and the market but forgot. Nik will try and help me remember next week.

The other day it was 10:10 pm when i looked at the clock to see if i should finish up and get to bed, which i then proceeded to do. After brushing my teeth and changing I looked at the clock once more before getting into to bed. It was 11:11. When i woke the next morning I glanced at the clock on the way to the bathroom, it was 5:55am. That afternoon i had to go into town and filled up the Crow truck, gas at the Murfin's station was 2.22.2 a gallon.

Life is so very interesting.

We've been working on enclosing the porch and have put some of the old doors to use there. I've also put those two new drying racks to great use and have been drying extra for market.

The mornings have smelled like Fall this week and the other day we passed a tree with the leaves falling in the breeze. It was very surreal and wonderfully strange.

A week or so ago I spent two nights in a row having several very small, short dreams. It was very odd and unusual for me. I usually have long dreams drawn out into episodes.

One was that I was looking for organic milk at Sams in a very short dress I made to wear as a long top. At first I was horrified to realize I didn't have jeans on but I needed the milk so then I just said hell with it and went on. then the dream ended.Another was that a guy I know disappeared and left a note telling his son to bring several boxes to me. I looked in the boxes and they were filled with envelopes. thousands of them. Many were empty but many others contained things like notes and jewelry and bits of fabric. I looked up at the son and the dream ended.And another was that there were many people gathered in a store and army or policemen wouldn't let any of us leave at first. Then a man in a different uniform came forward and said that some could leave and they started stamping peoples hands and letting those people leave. I looked at Nik and a man standing next to us and knew that none of the 3 of us would be allowed to leave. then i woke up. This is one of the very few dreams in which Nik was his real age. In almost every dream Nik it's very small like 5 or 6.There were 6 or 7 others as well.

last week we were given a bunch of poultry. Some people were moving and kindly gave us all their birds. 3 Muscovy ducks, (which i sold to pay for the gas money to pick them up. It was around 100 miles) 2 Toulouse Geese which we named Pierre and Coco, 1 Embden Goose I named Willamina, she's white and has blue eyes :), 7 New Hampshire Red hens and 1 Old English Crele Rooster which we've named Sir Didymus. Sir Didymus is very sweet but I'm not sure if we'll keep him because we do also have Fox and don't have the greenhouse built for them to live in and they can't live with the hens.


This week I'm hoping to be picking up 4 young Royal Palm turkeys. they're small for turkeys and a fairly rare breed. Beautiful white with black tipped feathers.

Royal Palm Turkeys from feathersite.com
Everyone else is doing wonderfully and we're all very blessed to have such a life :)

6 comments:

Linda Foley said...

Hi Juli, very interesting post yesterday. Thanks for sharing.

Peggy said...

I can be having a down day and stop by here or even think of you and your burrow and things brighten up. You bring such a peace and happy calm to each of us

JoyceAnn said...

Hi Juli ~ Sounds like the Burrow Barnyard is growing , that's alot of critters. Happy to hear your second time at the Farmer's Market went so well.
I would love to see your market table setup and a pic of the signholder you spoke about in the other post , when you get a chance.

~ Many Blessings ~
JoyceAnn

Unknown said...

wonderful news about the market happenings! i'm hoping that all continues to go well for you there. :-)

i just enjoy reading your goigs ons.

oldcrow61 said...

Happy to hear that the market is going well.

MyMaracas said...

Great news about your success with the farmer's market.

I'd love to see your place, with all those wonderful creatures. There's such a sense of earth and spirit about your blog.

So ... what DID the dawn bring?