Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Thursday, November 5, 2009

11.5.9

We've fallen gently into the bed of Autumn. The temperatures, like Summer, have been very mild. So much so that it worries my practical self, but then my daydream dancing self is overjoyed by every little thing and soon I forget to worry.

Forgetting to worry doesn't mean forgetting to prepare. It's more so that I can't help but find pleasure in the preparations. Maybe I don't take things quite as seriously as most other folks but then again, I don't dance in their shoes.

We had a wonderful Samhain, the house was full of guests (the kind you feel instead of see), we ate stuffed baked potatoes, chocolate cake and watched Wyrd Sisters. I am proud of almost everything Nik does but that he loves Terry Pratchett makes me proudest of all :) It's also something that both my sisters and I share, the books anyway.

The porch is almost finished :) just a little more chicken wire, a few boards cut down, a little nailing and some paint and the porch will finally be enclosed. Then it's about figuring out how to fit everything in. Two things have to fit for sure ... an area just for the cats to play and lounge in the sun, and a sitting area for me with rocking chair, tea table and soft throw rug. A place to contemplate my contemplations :)

Then a few more things before winter ... get the rest of the 6 foot fence up so that Hercules doesn't have to be chained up all the time. I loath that for him so much. And build him a bigger better doghouse. The goats broke down Star's giant igloo I gave him, so now he has Apollo's smaller house, which he fits in but just barely. The only thing I can think to do is build him one out of wood and sturdy enough for the goats to get on.

Those are the biggest things, and getting more firewood cut. You can never have to much and we rarely have enough ready ahead of time. One of these years I'll get it all cut up before winter :)

For now I'm off to have some irish cream in hot chocolate and watch some Catherine Cookson


Blessed night :)

3 comments:

Globetrotting Gamine said...

Have a good day!!

Much Love,
MG

*whosthatgamine.blogspot.com*

Peggy said...

though you have so much going on its so peaceful at your place. You two have a very blessed day!

Marisa @ Getting Back To Basics said...

Sounds heavenly...ant the scones and cookies in your previous post look delicious!