Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

5.2.10

Happy May Day !

We've been busy, as usual. a very good busy tho, also as usual :)

We had a wonderful day last Thursday at the Farmers market and did quite well. It was very windy and a bit hot but an excellent day. I met a couple of new vendors and a couple of vendors from last year that i hadn't met. And had a couple of customers from last year who i was very glad to see again.

I also had a very profitable trade recently. An antique dress form for ten 6 foot T posts. I'll miss the dress form a bit but the Burrow is so small i didn't really have room for her and we really needed the T posts so it was a very good trade.

We're getting ready to redo the second, larger goat pen. It's kind of hard to explain but things change, as they often do .... the renter will be staying in the cabin now (which I was going to be using half of as a barn) so I'm taking the building we brought in back in January and using it for storage and eventually my studio. It has a large covered porch which I'm now turning into the barn. If we move, Nik and I may end up living in the building but I'll still use the porch half as a barn until we get something else built.

I can't wait for the barn to be usable, The last time I milked in the rain the tarp roof of our tarp barn leaked on us. it is certainly better than nothing and I'm very thankful to have it. I would be thankful to milk most anywhere to have milk and a healthy goat. But still, to have a better barn will be very nice. all it will take after it's leveled a bit more is to add it to the larger goat pen and enclose the sides, a few salvaged pallets will become a couple of stalls, we'll move the milk stanchion, feed and other stuff and then we'll be high and dry :)

I may eventually move the hens and henhouse over there as well and use the spot their in now for more garden area. I've almost run out of garden space and we truly need more.

And speaking of milking ... I've taken some photos and am going to post how i milk. I'll post it here and on The Barn page. I like seeing how other people do things.

I've also been moving and changing things inside. With the porch enclosed and when we're able to use the building fully we'll have a bit more room in the house. I've already moved my work table to the living room and the dinning table back into the kitchen. I've also created a small area in the kitchen corner as my apothecary now that my work table is moved. The herbs and teas clutter it up a bit but I like having the table there again.

I hope everyone's May Day was Merry :)

No comments: