Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Sunday, September 19, 2010

9.18.10 Hens & Carrots

Tasha Tudor





Today was a very good day. I don't know what will come tomorrow but for now I am happy and content.

We think we've found the problem with the Blazer. It seems that the fuel regulator has gone bad and a friend is going to pick one up for me tomorrow. I hope so much that this is what it is and that the friend can install it for me.

Last Thursday I finally received a reply from the house guy. It said "Call if you would like to discuss a resolution." Only that and nothing more. I have not called yet but will be calling on Monday. I know it is a silly thing but I still so wish this place could have been ours. Things are as they are and I will be grateful to be able to spend the winter and have time to prepare and make plans.

The goats are doing well, Thistle is giving between 2 and 2 1/2 cups a day. Ivy is growing and maturing a bit, she's a beautiful goat and going to be pretty big. I have Ivy listed for sale but we'll see.

Oddly we had 2 hens taken the other day. We only kept 7 hens and of those only 4 are of laying age. Now it's just 2. We have no idea what took them, they just vanished. It was in the middle of the day Thursday. All day the windows were open and there was never any sound of struggle or any indication of trouble. They just vanished. We searched everywhere but they never went far and they always stayed with the flock and they all always come running when I call them. It's a bad thing and worse because it was our 2 Ameraucanas, our only green egg layers.

The vegetable garden is quite done and I've already pulled everything out except for 3 little pepper plants and the hyacinth beans. We're still getting lettuces because I replanted some and may get another batch before it gets to cold. We also found a few more carrots in the garden today. They're small but they're healthy and still growing. It seems quite unnatural not to be able to start planning next years garden.

I'm working to get the cabin and porch ready to sell. I had intended to rent it and take back the older cabin to use as barn, storage and studio again. But the money will probably go to a motor home or travel trailer, something we can live in if I can't find the perfect little cottage, cabin or old farmhouse for us by spring (or case we have even less time).

I've written twice about the Wasola house, once with an offer to buy and once to make sure they had gotten my offer. The realtor has never replied to either one altho he did reply to my very first email asking him if they owners would consider financing. His reply then is that they absolutely would.

And now it's almost 1:00am, way past time to sleep and dream.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Sounds like things may be looking up for you all. I'm glad. As far as the chickens - could be a racoon. We had one take several of our hens before I caught him in broad daylight. May he rest in peace (or pieces). You must have a hole in your coop -- or start keeping the hens in during the day if there is a predator about.