Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Monday, February 14, 2011

The Power of Light

What an incredible day. Life is shining brightly, the sun is smiling, the world is warm and full of wick.

I have a few starts that I took quickly from the old herb garden. I'm surprised they survived but survive they did and they're looking very well. Wormwood, Yarrow, Oregano and Feverfew. Only 4 out of over 100 herbs but 4 is something and the gardens here will be bigger and better than they ever have been.

And I do have seed from 2009 and was able to save a little seed last year too. I know I have at least some Mugwort, Anise Hyssop and Melissa. I haven't ordered seeds yet, I need to see what can be budgeted and what I have but I'll be ordering a few at least. RareSeeds.com is the only place I buy seeds from anymore.

If the weather holds this week I am going to start some of the garden areas. Just marking off and maybe some top tilling , if we can get to it. I need to find my garden journal as well and start it anew.

The dog bite is healing well. The punctures that go through my lips and and into my gums are slower and harder to heal but they're getting there. The worst of them, the one on my temple was being very slow but it starting to look good as well. More scars to add to my collection.

For the folks who strangely worried that I wouldn't document or report it, it was documented and reported the very first day. Thank you (((((((((( guys)))))))) for caring so much too :)

The people finally did reply as well and are supposed to be providing shot records. The 10th day will be on the 21st and, altho I do not believe he is rabid, I will be relieved when that time is up.

The day after the attack we did a cleansing and blessing at the Cottage. A friend ( Thank you Risa!!!)reminded me to, thank goodness! As many times as I've moved I have always done a cleansing and blessing on each and every house. I planned one for here as well and had things ready for it but somehow I had forgotten to actually do it.

That very evening, after the cleansing and blessing, Nik was able to find out where the toilet was leaking and fix it. A very loose bolt holding the tank to the seat. The sink , tho not completely unclogged, started draining so much better (I poured more very hot water down it) and Merlin showed up the very next morning!

Merlin is a cat we got to live with Raspberry in the barn. He's an older male we got over a week ago and who, horrifyingly, ran away the day after we got him. We followed him for well over 2 miles until we lost him in a field. I alerted the person we got him from because I fully expected him to return there but! the morning after the house blessing I looked out the bathroom window and there he was! out by the barn :) :) :)

We also have 2 more new cats. Willow and Song. Half wild kittens that we took in just a day before Merlin showed back up. So I looked for one companion for raspberry and we ended up with 3 new cats! Ah well, things happen as they do and work our as they will :)

And, speaking of the sink draining. I've been working on it every few days using vinegar and baking soda and/or very hot water. I kept thinking that if i couldn't get it going I would have to buy some drain-o or something but a friend (Thanks Rae) reminded me that, being a soaper, I have lye! I haven't used any but I have it should I need it.

Back to animals, I don't know if it will work out but we may be getting 2 bucks next weekend. A Saanen and a LaMancha. We'll see, but I do hope it works out.

Thistle is giving a little more milk each day but still it's very little. She's up to 2/3 cup and that's with a bit of Fenugreek. It is so wonderful to have our own milk again tho!

We've been working hard these warm days, mainly on the barn. We had gotten a temporary larger hen house up but there's an excellent space in the back of the barn, already partially ready for poultry, that I wanted to use. And it's now the working hen house :) It's huge, probably 8 ft by 10 to 12 ft. They now have plenty of roosting spots, next boxes and room to stay in if the weather is to bad. It still needs a bit of work, proper doors and fix the window so it can open in summer. But it's wonderful and very usable for them now.

I've also been working a lot on the business, getting the site and shops open and promoted, gathering up inventory to see what all I have, planning more and more .... Getting ready for the Farmers Markets too. I so look forward to them.

I'm also very interested in opening a small physical store. I've wanted to for years now and came close a couple of times but never quite managed it. Finding a place to rent is pretty easy, the rent itself is always to high tho if that and utilities were the only costs it could be managed but there's insurance and business license etc ... who knows tho

Anyway, I must back to work :)

Thank you so much ((((((((( Everyone ))))))))))) for all the prayers, jujus and hood thoughts for us and for the dog bite!!!

1 comment:

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

Oh my gosh! I am so glad that you are OK...

As far as a store...I wonder if you are located in a good place to open something like a road side stand?