Wild Moon Cottage is a small working homestead in the pristine Ozark Mountains. We have dairy goats, poultry, organic herb and vegetable gardens, a start of a tiny fruit orchard, several black walnut trees, wild berries and fields of wildcrafting goodness. We raise our own milk, our own eggs, much of our own medicine and food. I do laundry by hand, make my own vinegar, candles, soap, bread, cheese ........ For a living I am an artist and herbalist. My goal for myself and our homestead is to be as self sufficient and self sustaining as possible.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Very Exciting Bakers Creek News :)

One very exciting thing is that it's not raining and I was able to do laundry and get it hung out to dry! I love the rain, truly. But this is waaaay to much for me.

The pond has way overflowed. It got right at 3 feet higher than it's full amount, about 2 of those feet are above where the den was. I hope who ever lived there got out safely. Tho I suspect Leader evicted them already.

Yesterday the house finally started leaking. A river down the chimney and a leak right in front of the fireplace, over the mantle. But not bad for close to 6 days of rain and a 75 year old house with an old tin roof :)

The barn leaks pretty badly tho and I'll have to figure out some patching for it this summer. The two main barn leaks are at ground level, which we can hopefully divert and fix pretty easily. The worse is on the south side and there's now a small pond in the goat stalls. the other is at the front doors and should be fixed easily enough.

I'm not sure about the stone house but since it shares a roof with the barn I reckon it leaked too.

But for now the sun is out, the laundry is drying on the line, the goats are browsing in the field and Leader is belly up in the side yard :)


And then there's some most excellent news .... It looks like we'll be vending at the Bakers Creek Spring festival next weekend :) :) :) A friend has a booth and offered to share it with me. I've never been to anything there and always wanted to take Nik just for the experience. I never considered vending because I just assumed it was to expensive. It's a little expensive but not as bad as I expected. I'm very excited about it :) :)





We'll be there this Sunday and Monday, May 1st & 2nd. Say hello if you happen to be there :)
I'm working on extra inventory this week and getting ready to batch some antibiotic salve for us and to sell. I was going to make soap but I usually let it cure at least 2 weeks and with the rain it would probably take longer so I haven't even started it.

I have a good batch of vinegar going, I haven't made any since the move and this batch is looking particularly good.

We're averaging 5 eggs a day from 6 laying hens and old Hen (8 yr old ameraucana) has even started laying every once in a while :)

For milk we're up to 1 2/3 cup a day, which is a huge amount considering she dried up completely after the move. The goats are doing so wonderfully grazing and browsing in the field. I'm still going to be buying alfalfa and hay to put back for winter and hopefully we'll be able to cut, dry and store some of our own from the field. A friend has generously offered us her old long handled scythe she doesn't use and it will be a great step toward the Self Sufficient Cottage :)

The Cottage has good jujus for everything we do :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Juli you sound so happy even with the roof leaks you will get them all patched when it stops raining for a few days, our basement flooded so I was up most of the night sweeping it out it was coming in where it has never leaked before but it was beautiful today, glad you got your laundry done I bet it smells so good. June